Why why why? Sum of torque, changes in directions? This is

• Thread starter riseofphoenix
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sum Torque
In summary, the conversation is about confusion regarding the use of sine and cosine functions in a TORQUE problem. The person asking the question is wondering why the arrows in the diagram are alternating between sine and cosine, and is seeking clarification on the use of these functions in relation to the x and y axes. The expert suggests focusing on forming triangles and determining the trigonometric functions for the sides, and clarifies that the perpendicular component of the force should be used in the torque formula.
riseofphoenix
Why oh WHY do the arrows in this TORQUE problem keep alternating between SINE and COS

Number9.png

This is what they did:
Solution.png

I understand the whole Torque = F * r, but WHY (at the top of the diagram) is the arrow pointing up = (25 N)cos 30 and NOT sin and why is the arrow pointing to the right underneath it (25 N)sin 30 and not cos?? Same goes for the other arrows...I thought the x-axis (horizontal) was ALL COSINE and the y-axis (vertical) was SINE. This is so frustrating!
They keep doing this in ALL of their problems and it really confuses me.
They keep changing it from left to right...please help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Forget the axes. Form triangles with the angles and determine the trig functions for the sides of the triangles you are looking for

Review the definition of torque. If you write torque as F*r (where r is the distance from the axis to the point of application of the force), then F is the component of the force that acts perpendicular to r. Thus, the formula should be [itex]\tau[/itex] = ##F_{\bot}\:r## where ##F_{\bot}## is the perpendicular component of the force.

[Edit: Ah, I think I misunderstood your difficulty. You are having trouble with finding the perpendicular component of the force. Follow PhizKid's advice! (You would use the cosine function for the x-component of a force only if the angle is measured from the x-axis.)]

Last edited:

PhizKid said:
Forget the axes. Form triangles with the angles and determine the trig functions for the sides of the triangles you are looking for

Ohhhh!
Ok.
Thanks!

I can understand your frustration with this inconsistency in the use of sine and cosine in torque problems. However, it is important to remember that torque is a vector quantity and its direction is determined by the direction of the force and the direction of the lever arm (r). In the example you provided, the force is acting at an angle of 30 degrees from the horizontal, hence the use of sine and cosine in the calculation of torque. The horizontal component of the force (25 N * cos 30) creates a torque in the clockwise direction, while the vertical component of the force (25 N * sin 30) creates a torque in the counterclockwise direction.

In general, the use of sine and cosine in torque problems depends on the orientation of the force and the lever arm. If the force is acting parallel to the lever arm, only cosine will be used. If the force is acting perpendicular to the lever arm, only sine will be used. If the force is acting at an angle, both sine and cosine will be used to calculate the torque.

I understand that this may seem confusing at first, but with practice and understanding of the basic principles, you will be able to solve torque problems with ease. I recommend reviewing the concept of vector components and their relationship to sine and cosine to gain a better understanding of torque calculations.

FAQ: Why why why? Sum of torque, changes in directions? This is

1. Why do we experience changes in direction when applying torque?

Changes in direction occur because torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. When torque is applied to an object, it causes the object to rotate around the axis, resulting in changes in direction.

2. Why is the sum of torque important?

The sum of torque is important because it determines the overall rotational motion of an object. The net torque on an object determines whether it will rotate and in which direction.

3. Why is torque a vector quantity?

Torque is a vector quantity because it has both magnitude and direction. The direction of torque is perpendicular to the plane of rotation and follows the right-hand rule.

4. Why is torque measured in Newton-meters (Nm)?

Torque is measured in Newton-meters (Nm) because it is a combination of the unit of force (Newton) and the unit of distance (meter). This unit helps us to understand the amount of force required to cause rotation.

5. Why is understanding torque important in physics?

Understanding torque is important in physics because it is a fundamental concept in rotational motion. It helps us to explain how objects rotate and how forces act on them to produce rotational motion. Many real-world applications, such as engines and machines, rely on an understanding of torque.