Wifi networks. Dangerous for health?

In summary, there are concerns about the potential dangers of using wifi networks due to their frequency of 2.4 GHz, which is also used by microwaves. However, the power output of wifi routers is relatively low (a few 100mW) and is significantly lower than other common sources of radio emission. Additionally, there are different classes of devices with varying levels of power output, with Class 1 being the most powerful, but still comparable to mobile phones. Ultimately, the potential health risks of using wifi networks are still under debate and there is no definitive conclusion.
lanz
Wifi networks. Dangerous for health??

Hi,

Recently, I have installed a wireless router to create a network at home between 2 computers. This question to say the truth has worried me a bit because searching in the net about this question we can find a lot of opinions warning about the use of that kind of devices as hypothetical danger to the health in spite of not having one definitive conclusion, (maybe by created interests ¿?)

In my case the router I bought runs to a frequency of 2,4 Ghz. I have placed the router near of me when I work with the computer.

I have read that to 2,4 Ghz (at this frequency also runs the microwaves, but these ones are isolated in a "Faraday Cage" that avoids the exit of radiation to outside) the H20 warms up when enters -partially- by resonance with the molecule. Does this means that this frequency is dangerous to the human body?

Are there routers that irradiate to less frequency and therefore they are less dangerous for the health?

Thanks with anticipation

Regards

Physics news on Phys.org

The wifi puts out a few 100mW at most.
If you go outside you will receive 1000x as much radio emission from a big unregulated source in the sky.

Last edited:

lanz said:
I have read that to 2,4 Ghz (at this frequency also runs the microwaves, but these ones are isolated in a "Faraday Cage" that avoids the exit of radiation to outside) the H20 warms up when enters -partially- by resonance with the molecule. Does this means that this frequency is dangerous to the human body?

Are there routers that irradiate to less frequency and therefore they are less dangerous for the health?

wikipedia said:
Maximum power output from a Bluetooth radio is 100 mW, 2.5 mW, and 1 mW for Class 1, Class 2, and Class 3 devices respectively, which puts Class 1 at roughly the same level as mobile phones, and the other two classes much lower.

The average power output for things like routers is of the order of milliwatts (0.001 W), whereas the output from a microwave oven is of the order of killowatts (1000 W). That's 1000000 times more powerful. I wouldn't worry about it.

mgb_phys said:
The wifi puts out a few 100mW at most.
If you go outside you will receive 1000x as much radio emission from a big unregulated source in the sky.

Don't worry- I have a plan in progress even now to shut down that unregulated source!

The computer company that makes the SPARC processor tried with a copyright suit, the guy delivering the subpoena never came back

Related to Wifi networks. Dangerous for health?

1. How does Wifi networks affect our health?

There is no conclusive evidence that Wifi networks have a direct impact on our health. Some studies have shown that exposure to electromagnetic fields, such as those emitted by Wifi networks, may cause minor health effects such as headaches or fatigue. However, these effects are not significant enough to be considered dangerous for most people.

2. Is it safe to use Wifi networks for a long period of time?

As of now, there is no evidence to suggest that using Wifi networks for a long period of time is harmful to our health. Wifi networks emit low levels of electromagnetic radiation, which are considered safe by international health organizations. However, it is always a good idea to take breaks from using electronic devices and limit exposure to any type of radiation.

3. Can Wifi networks cause cancer?

There is no scientific evidence to support the claim that Wifi networks can cause cancer. The type of radiation emitted by Wifi networks is non-ionizing, meaning it does not have enough energy to damage DNA and cause cancer. Studies have not found any link between Wifi networks and cancer risk.

4. Are children more vulnerable to the potential health effects of Wifi networks?

Children are not more vulnerable to the potential health effects of Wifi networks than adults. The levels of radiation emitted by Wifi networks are considered safe for all age groups. However, as a precaution, it is recommended to limit children's exposure to electronic devices and Wifi networks, just like with any other type of radiation.

5. Should I be concerned about the safety of Wifi networks in my home?

No, you should not be concerned about the safety of Wifi networks in your home. The levels of radiation emitted by Wifi networks are well below the recommended safety limits. As long as you are not constantly surrounded by multiple Wifi networks, there is no need to worry about their potential health effects.