Win10 change in method of adding file to 'path'?

In summary, the method for adding 'pip' to the path in Windows 10 has changed recently. Previously, one could double click on 'path' in 'system variables' and paste the path at the end of the string. However, this no longer works. It is unclear if this change is due to a recent update. To add a path to 'path' in 'system variables' now, one can search for 'path' in the lower left of the screen, select to edit either system environment variables or environment variables for your account, and add a line for the new folder. It is not possible to add a file using this method.
deltapapazulu
I am trying to add 'pip' in Python/Scripts to path in Win10 but the method available to do this seems to have changed recently. I used to just double click on 'path' in 'system variables' and paste path to pip (or whatever) at the end of a string of similar paths separated by a semicolon. But now that does not come up.

Just wonder if anyone else has noticed this change in latest updates of Windows 10? And maybe tell me how to add a path to 'path' in 'system varialbes' now.

Computer science news on Phys.org
In the search popup (lower left of screen), type in path. Select to edit either system environment variables (must be logged in as administrator) or environment variables for your account. A window should pop up where you can select Path and select Edit. You can add a line for your new folder.

QUESTION: Are you trying to add a directory or a file? I don't think you can add a file, but from your question it looks like you didn't get to that point anyway.

Last edited:
Likes harborsparrow

FAQ: Win10 change in method of adding file to 'path'?

1. How has the method of adding a file to 'path' changed in Win10?

The method of adding a file to 'path' has changed in Win10 through the use of the Settings app. Instead of using the traditional Control Panel, Win10 now has a dedicated 'System' section in the Settings app where users can easily manage their system environment variables.

2. Can I still add files to 'path' using the command prompt in Win10?

Yes, you can still add files to 'path' using the command prompt in Win10. However, it is recommended to use the Settings app as it provides a more user-friendly interface.

3. Why did Win10 change the method of adding files to 'path'?

Win10 changed the method of adding files to 'path' in order to provide a more streamlined and intuitive process for managing system environment variables. This change also aligns with the overall design and functionality of the Settings app in Win10.

4. Can I customize the order of files in 'path' in Win10?

Yes, you can customize the order of files in 'path' in Win10. This can be done by using the 'Move Up' and 'Move Down' buttons in the Settings app or by manually rearranging the files in the command prompt.

5. Will adding files to 'path' in Win10 affect my system performance?

No, adding files to 'path' in Win10 will not have any significant impact on system performance. However, it is important to only add necessary files to avoid cluttering the system environment variables.

Back