Would i use the fundamental counting principal or is this a permutation

In summary, the fundamental counting principle is a mathematical concept used to calculate the total number of possible outcomes for a series of events. It should be used when the order of the outcomes does not matter. Permutations, on the other hand, take into account the order of outcomes and should be used when it does matter. Both the fundamental counting principle and permutations can be applied in real-world situations, particularly in fields such as statistics, probability, and computer science.
sdjackson79
thare are 8 candidates for three student seats how many different ways can the seats be chosen? With the FCP I get 24 If it is a permutation I get 336 which is right and why? Thanks for the help

Physics news on Phys.org
336 is correct. If candidate 1 takes the first seat, you have 7 candidates to take seat two, and for each of the seven candidates you have 6 more to take seat three. So whichever of the candidates takes the first seat gives 42 possibilities for the remaining candidates to take the other. 42 * 8 = 336.

or 8 permutate 3. (8*7*6 as stated above)

FAQ: Would i use the fundamental counting principal or is this a permutation

1. What is the fundamental counting principle?

The fundamental counting principle is a mathematical concept that states that the total number of possible outcomes for a series of events can be calculated by multiplying the number of outcomes for each individual event together.

2. When should I use the fundamental counting principle?

You should use the fundamental counting principle when you want to calculate the total number of possible outcomes for a series of events where the order of the outcomes does not matter.

3. What is a permutation?

A permutation is a way to arrange a set of objects or events in a specific order. It is different from the fundamental counting principle because it takes into account the order of the outcomes.

4. How do I know whether to use the fundamental counting principle or a permutation?

You should use the fundamental counting principle when the order of the outcomes does not matter, and a permutation when the order of the outcomes does matter.

5. Can the fundamental counting principle and permutations be used in real-world situations?

Yes, both the fundamental counting principle and permutations can be used in real-world situations. They are commonly used in fields such as statistics, probability, and computer science to calculate the number of possible outcomes for a given scenario.