XeF6 Problem Help - Explaining Molecular Geometry & Hybridization

• Thread starter Neurocscience
  • Start date
In summary, the correct statements for the XeF6 ion are: there is an octahedral electron pair arrangement around Xe, the molecular structure is octahedral, there is one lone pair on the Xe atom, and the hybridization is d2sp3. The total valence electron is 50, with six F atoms bonded to Xe leaving only two electrons for one lone pair. The hybridization is SP3d3.
Neurocscience
This problem is giving me some trouble:
Check the statements that correctly apply to the XeF6 ion:

a. There is an octahedral electron pair arrangement around Xe
b. The hybridization of Xe is d2sp3
c. The molecular structure is octahedral
d. There is one lone pair on the Xe atom
e. There are no lone pairs on the Xe atom

Could someone please explain it to me?

I know its molecular geometry is distorted octagon and its electron pair geometry is pentagonal bipyramidal. It also has 2 lone electron pairs, right? The hybridization I'm no so sure about...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think it has two lone pair.
The total valence electron is 50. Because there are six F which already bond to the Xe, there is only two electrons left, that is only one lone pair.

It has one lone pair and hybridisation is SP3d3...

Related to XeF6 Problem Help - Explaining Molecular Geometry & Hybridization

1. What is the molecular geometry of XeF6?

The molecular geometry of XeF6 is octahedral, with six bonding electron pairs and no lone pairs on the central xenon atom. This results in a symmetrical shape with bond angles of 90 degrees.

2. How many hybrid orbitals are involved in XeF6?

In XeF6, the central xenon atom undergoes sp3d2 hybridization, which involves the mixing of one 2s, three 2p, and two 5d orbitals. This results in six sp3d2 hybrid orbitals, each with an unpaired electron for bonding.

3. What is the Lewis dot structure for XeF6?

The Lewis dot structure for XeF6 is drawn by first writing the symbol for xenon (Xe) in the center, surrounded by six fluorine atoms (F) each with a single bond connecting to the central atom. The remaining valence electrons are then placed around the atoms to satisfy the octet rule.

4. Why is XeF6 considered an exception to the octet rule?

XeF6 is considered an exception to the octet rule because it contains more than eight electrons around the central atom. This is possible because xenon is a larger atom and can accommodate extra electrons in its valence shell. Additionally, the presence of empty 5d orbitals allows for the formation of six bonds.

5. What is the polarity of XeF6?

XeF6 is a nonpolar molecule due to its symmetrical octahedral shape and the equal sharing of electrons between the central atom and the surrounding fluorine atoms. This results in a net dipole moment of zero, making the molecule nonpolar.