Random Photos

In summary: I only remember the Canadian part.I took this photo of some Canadian wolves a few weeks ago.In summary, the photo is of Canadian wolves.
  • #1,436
Andy Resnick said:
Noice! That look seems to be a universal property of teenage daughter objects:

View attachment 331655
Indeed. I think my daughter thinks I took one too many pics at her graduation
1694882585390.jpeg

Last edited:
Likes pinball1970, Andy Resnick and DennisN
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,437
What's wrong with this picture? (screenshot of a Toyota truck commercial on TV just now)...

Toyote Truck Advert Fail.jpg

• #1,438
The ramp is to small to jump the truck. :oldwink:

• Haha
Likes Andy Resnick, DennisN, BillTre and 1 other person
  • #1,439
"I'm sorry, sir, we don't have any more gas here."

nogas.jpg

• Love
Likes nuuskur, morrobay, DennisN and 1 other person
  • #1,440
A couple of shots from around the city...

The Town Hall (built 1546):
Town hall (Konica 28mm).jpg

A small old house (built 1842):
Old house (2) (Konica 28mm).jpg

A very old house, one of the oldest in the city (16th century):
Old house (3) 16th century (Konica 28mm).jpg

The corner of another old house:
Old house (1) (Konica 28mm).jpg

And last, sunlight through leaves:
Sunlight through leaves (1) (Konica 28mm).jpg

Likes pinball1970, BillTre, Borg and 3 others
  • #1,441
Borg said:
LOL, nope.

I don't know anybody who pushes/maneuvers their motorcycle from the right side. We follow the horse example and always get on from the left side. If I tried to push my dirtbike around from the right side, I'd fall over for sure.

That handsome model has never been on a motorcycle, I'm guessing. :wink:

Likes Tom.G
  • #1,442
berkeman said:
LOL, nope.

I don't know anybody who pushes/maneuvers their motorcycle from the right side. We follow the horse example and always get on from the left side. If I tried to push my dirtbike around from the right side, I'd fall over for sure.

You're certain that's "not a cellphone mirror-image?"

• Haha
Likes BillTre
  • #1,443
Bystander said:
You're certain that's "not a cellphone mirror-image?"
Excellent question! But no, the dirtbike's drive chain is on the correct side. :smile:

• Informative
Likes BillTre
  • #1,444
Borg said:

berkeman said:
LOL, nope.

Wow, doesn't look big enough to me.

• #1,445
berkeman said:
LOL, nope.

But he's putting it on [or taking it from] the left side of a trailer that looks a lot like the one below; he doesn't have a choice.

berkeman said:
Excellent question! But no, the dirtbike's drive chain is on the correct side. :smile:

Note also that in the previous video, one bike has its chain on the left-hand side (Honda) and the other on the right-hand side (Husqvarna). There is no "correct" side.

• #1,446
jack action said:
Note also that in the previous video, one bike has its chain on the left-hand side (Honda) and the other on the right-hand side (Husqvarna). There is no "correct" side.
Does Husky still put the chain on the right side? I though that they only did that back in Malcom Smith's day (On Any Sunday)...

1694981792028.jpeg

https://rollingphysicsproblem.wordpress.com/tag/malcolm-smith/

• #1,447
berkeman said:
Does Husky still put the chain on the right side? I though that they only did that back in Malcom Smith's day (On Any Sunday)...
To be honest, I was with you on the "correct" side of the chain until I saw the video I uploaded where two bikes were side by side with the chain on different sides. (So not a mirror effect of some sort.)

The bike is obviously of relatively recent time. with a quick search, the most recent model I found was a WR250 2013.

I also found ATK which did this, the latest model year being 2008, Husaberg until 2008, Praga ED 250 & 610 until 2003, Maico in 2014, and KTM as late as 1999.

• Informative
Likes Tom.G and berkeman
  • #1,448
@DennisN will surely recognize this.

windmill.jpg

• Love
Likes collinsmark, morrobay and DennisN
  • #1,449
jtbell said:
@DennisN will surely recognize this.
Oh, yes. :smile: So you've been there? Very fun to see an old photo of it! :smile:

Here's a shot of the mill from August this year:

Mill.jpg

And right next to that mill is a communal garden which is one of the best places in the city to shoot flowers. Some of my flower shots in this thread are from that garden.

Last edited:
Likes jtbell, collinsmark and morrobay
  • #1,450
DennisN said:
Very fun to see an old photo of it! :smile:
Yes, it's from summer 1978. A friend and I arrived via the hydrofoil ferry from Copenhagen.

hydrofoil.jpg

We spent a few hours walking around and eating dinner, then left via the night train to Stockholm, en route to Finland.

• Love
Likes DennisN
  • #1,451
jtbell said:
Yes, it's from summer 1978. A friend and I arrived via the hydrofoil ferry from Copenhagen.

Very nice to see old photos of Malmö, it brings back memories :smile:. Your photo above reminded me of all the ferry crossings we used to do to Copenhagen. Now we usually go by car or train via the Öresund Bridge.

The Kockums Crane on your photo above was once a famous landmark of the city. It's not here anymore, it's been moved to South Korea.

And the lighthouse on your photo is the same lighthouse I have posted a couple of shots of in this thread. :smile:

Last edited:
  • #1,452
DennisN said:
Your photo above reminded me of all the ferry crossings we used to do to Copenhagen. Now we usually go by car or train via the Öresund Bridge.
I found a web site showing picture postcards of the Copenhagen-Malmö ferries, including mine. It mentions that the fast ferries were eliminated after the Öresund bridge opened in 1999.

I finally located the lighthouse on Google Maps as "Malmö inre fyr / Malmö Old Light House". Now I can see that the hydrofoil dock was just north of the University Bridge, a short walk from the central train station. We probably checked our backpacks and changed some money at the station before walking around.

Unfortunately I have no other photos from Malmö except for this one showing some fowl, probably in the castle park near the windmill.

fowl.jpg

• Love
Likes morrobay, BillTre and DennisN
  • #1,453
From my morning walk yesterday:

crap.jpg

• Haha
Likes dlgoff, Rive and DennisN
  • #1,454
jtbell said:
I finally located the lighthouse on Google Maps as "Malmö inre fyr / Malmö Old Light House". Now I can see that the hydrofoil dock was just north of the University Bridge, a short walk from the central train station.
Correct! :smile:

jtbell said:
Unfortunately I have no other photos from Malmö except for this one showing some fowl, probably in the castle park near the windmill.
Haha, there are still pheasants there, and I photographed a couple there last year.
I guess they're not the same ones, though. :smile:

• #1,455
DennisN said:
Correct! :smile:Haha, there are still pheasants there, and I photographed a couple there last year.
I guess they're not the same ones, though. :smile:
Out of the 30 or so images I took today of the approach to Wigton in Cumbria, not one decent photo. (For a gig)
Trying to take photos from a moving vehicle does not work for me. Not with kit I have.
I was lumbered with being sound engineer for the last band too.
IMG_20230923_153715_544.jpg

• #1,456
Just a couple of weeks ago, temperatures were still in the low 90s(F) here. Now it's cooled off to highs around 80, and lows in the upper 50s. This is apparently enough to trigger fall colors in a few trees. This is the first one I've seen, just yesterday.

fall.jpg

• Love
Likes pinball1970, collinsmark, DennisN and 1 other person
  • #1,457
No point in trying to crop it or tart it up. One cannot add lustre to faeces.
This one was better.
IMG_20230923_172447_659.jpg

Likes BillTre and DennisN
  • #1,458
Getting away from the secret landing zone ...

secret-landing-zone.png

• Haha
Likes phinds, Rive, Borg and 3 others
  • #1,459
pinball1970 said:
Trying to take photos from a moving vehicle does not work for me.
I think it is ok for being from a car.
It's not easy, there are additional problems when taking such photos: motion blur since the camera is moving, reflections from car windows and dirt on the windows.

Taking photos from inside trains is also difficult :smile:.

I think I have a few such photos, I'll be back. :smile:

Likes pinball1970
  • #1,460
DennisN said:
I think I have a few such photos, I'll be back.

I couldn't find any photos taken from trains, but I found a few I took from the passenger seat in a car, in beautiful Austria (using an early mobile phone):What a lovely view! Too bad there are blurry trees in the way :biggrin: :

DSC01685.jpg

Ouch, it hurts my eyes... blur, dirty window and horrible overexposure... :smile:

DSC01684.jpg

On the way into one of the many tunnels in Austria... pretty ok sharpness...

DSC01755.jpg
...but inside the quality became worse. It must have been the fault of the tunnel :smile:.

DSC01753.jpg

But I actually found two pretty decent ones taken from the car:
(I think the large distance to the mountains helped here)

DSC01748.jpg

DSC01743.jpg

And last, another one from Austria... not taken from inside a car but from a hotel balcony in
lovely Zell am See:

DSC01735.jpg

• Love
Likes collinsmark, pinball1970, BillTre and 1 other person
  • #1,461
jack action said:
Getting away from the secret landing zone ...
That's a very cool photo, I think! :smile:

Did you get followed by anything in the sky? Tell us all!
Did they use a probe? :smile:

Likes BillTre
  • #1,462
From Amtrak: Cross country, Central Coast, CA. And from the train on the bridge over the River Kwai
IMG20230924090229.jpg
IMG20230924090259.jpg
IMG20230924090338.jpg
G
IMG20230924090400.jpg

Likes jtbell and DennisN
  • #1,463
DennisN said:
That's a very cool photo, I think! :smile:

Did you get followed by anything in the sky? Tell us all!
Did they use a probe? :smile:
I took the photo after visiting the site. (I didn't even realize at the time that it was a famous filming location.) I just saw this image in my rearview mirror as I was driving away and thought it would make a cool photo. Parked the car on the side of the road and shot the picture.

The funny thing is that it was back in the days of negatives and prints, so I wouldn't see the result until I got back home. Checking my freshly printed photos, I see this odd one with the dash of my car and an overexposed exterior (and reflection image in the mirror). I was wondering why I took that picture, then suddenly remembered what it was supposed to be. Disappointed, I still checked the negative and saw that we could see clearly the Devil's Tower in the mirror. I went back to the photo lab and told them where to test for the exposure and this picture came back (with now a very dark car interior).

Very proud of the result.

Likes DennisN
  • #1,464
pinball1970 said:
Trying to take photos from a moving vehicle does not work for me. Not with kit I have.
DennisN said:
I think it is ok for being from a car.
It's not easy, there are additional problems when taking such photos: motion blur since the camera is moving, reflections from car windows and dirt on the windows.
We had a photo contest for such photos a few years ago:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/pf-photo-contest-view-to-a-drive-4-18-4-24.987521/

Likes berkeman, morrobay and DennisN
  • #1,465
No, not the New Orleans Saints. This is across the street from a local charter school whose football team is also called the Saints. (as in St. Bernhard, obviously)

saints.jpg

Likes morrobay, DennisN and BillTre
  • #1,466
DennisN said:
I couldn't find any photos taken from trains
I found a couple of ones, none particularly good :smile:, but here are two:

Leaving Sweden on a train on the Öresund Bridge:

1.jpg
Passing Peberholm, a Danish artifical* island:
(with a reflection of me in the window)

2.jpg

Wikipedia said:
The reason for constructing the island was to have a crossover point between the tunnel and the bridge.

Likes pinball1970, collinsmark, jtbell and 1 other person
  • #1,467
From train Southern Thailand (Muslim) and Vietnam rice fields.
IMG20230926100044.jpg

Likes pinball1970, collinsmark and DennisN
  • #1,469
Two shots from Nordre Toldbod, a waterfront area in Copenhagen:

Waterfront.png

View eastwards from Nordre Toldbod. The bright point in the sky is actually the planet Jupiter.Here is one of the royal pavilions (Danish: De kongelige pavilioner) in the area.
They were built in 1905 and they were first used the same year to welcome royalty from Britain
(I have no more details on this).

Royal Pavillion.png

Likes jtbell, BillTre, morrobay and 2 others
  • #1,470
Morning dew...

...in the grass...

Morning Dew in grass (MOG Oreston 50mm).png

....and on the leaves.

Morning Dew on leaves (MOG Oreston 50mm).png

• Love
Likes collinsmark, BillTre, morrobay and 3 others