The best and most secure password manager

• Thread starter EngWiPy
  • Start date
In summary: For a long time, 1Password has been considered one of the best password managers available. It is very secure and has a free trial so you can see if it is the right solution for you.
Having one thing and knowing one thing is not inherently better or worse than knowing two things or having two things.

You can still lose or forget things. Many "security experts" are so worried about a bad actor coming in and depriving you of your stuff that they do not think about the risk of losing or forgetting the key, which also deprives you of use of your stuff.

The two solutions for this would be a "master key" which unlocks everything, which now has the risk that the master key can be stolen, and am authentication system that requires M out of N keys. As mention earlier, bank transactions sort of do this already.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Well, I am likely to switch from LastPass.

It's too secure. :smile: It's locked me out of my account several times. The issue is that it seems to be very fussy about using a YubiKey. You need to give your master password, wait for the YubiKey prompt, tell it not to use the YubiKey (!) but to use a different MFA, then remove and replace the YubiKey, and then enter the PIN and touch the YubiKey. You have five shots to get this right, and in the right order.

My LastPass support ticket has been in the works for a week. I don't think they even understand the symptoms yet. There is a one-day turnaround, and every day they want a screenshot or description of something that has already been described. There is no "try this" from them at this time.

Unless there is a fast turnaround, I think I'll be switching.

• Informative
Likes phinds
I'm wondering if the popularity of Password Security Software is based on angst, personal insecurity, corporate decrees, or actual need... as perhaps national security reasons.

A FIrewall/Virus Scanner/Sandbox approach is quite protective... and A LOT less intrusive!

• Skeptical
Likes fluidistic
Tom.G said:
A FIrewall/Virus Scanner/Sandbox approach is quite protective... and A LOT less intrusive!
Huh?

They do different things.

I don't want to use the same password for an online store as my bank. If the store has a security leak, I don't want to give the crooks access to my bank account too. Further, I want to use more secure passwords. Qwerty is a bad passsword. B4y%mnyHCgrcUAWH is better. Well, at least it used to be before this post. A password manager makes it easy to use stronger passwords.

Update: LastPass asked me if I wanted to give up troubleshooting. They haven't yet said "Try X and let us know what happens". (Other than "reinstall everything and see if it helps" which I did before I contacted them.