[0,1) --> S^1 and [0,1] -->S^1

• I
  • Thread starter PsychonautQQ
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of quotient maps and how the map e:[0,1) --> S^1 is not a quotient map, but e:[0,1] --> S^1 is. The participants also discuss the pre-image of an arc on the unit circle and how it is not necessarily closed or open. There is also confusion about why the map [0,1)---> S^1 is not a quotient map.
PsychonautQQ
Hey PF!
As usual, I'm having issues understanding some basic examples D:

e: [0,1) --> S^1 is not a quotient map. Any neighborhood on the unit circle starting at 1 and going around to e^(i*2pi*c) l be a not open neighborhood (it's complement is not closed) of the unit circle who's preimage is [0,c), which is open in [0,1).

Cool! I believe that this map is not a quotient map. My book goes on to say that:
e: [0,1] -->S^1 is a quotient map because it is also a closed map. Cool, that makes sense to me! I mean before we had the closed neighborhood [a,1) that would map to the not closed neighborhood [e^(i*2pi*a), 1), but now we don't have that problem!

However, to me it still seems that the neighborhood in the unit circle [1,e^(i*2pi*c)) will be a not closed map whose preimage will be [0,c) U {1} which is $NOT$ open either...

Okay so I made the word NOT all fancy because I realized as I was writing this that it was not open because I'm now including the singleton {1}, but I'm going to post this anyway so ya'll can look at my thoughts and give me some feedback as to if my thinking is correct or what not :D

Physics news on Phys.org
Your observation that the pre image of the arc ##\{e^{2\pi i t}:0\leq t<c\}## for fixed ##0<c<1## is not closed is correct. But this arc is not closed (or open), so we don't have any reason to expect that its pre image should be closed (or open).

Last edited:
Likes PsychonautQQ
Infrared said:
Your observation that the pre image of the arc ##\{e^{2\pi i t}:0\leq t<c\}## for fixed ##0<c<1## is not closed is correct. But this arc is not closed (or open), so we don't have any reason to expect that its pre image should be closed (or open).
Ah shoot. Can you explain to met again why [0,1)---> S^1 is not a quotient map but [0,1] ----> S^1 is?

Infrared said:
I think I meant that that in the inverse map from S^1 --> [0,1), the set [0,c) is open but it's pre-image is not.

Related to [0,1) --> S^1 and [0,1] -->S^1

1. What does [0,1) --> S^1 and [0,1] -->S^1 mean?

The notation [0,1) --> S^1 and [0,1] -->S^1 represents a continuous mapping from the closed interval [0,1] or the half-open interval [0,1) to the unit circle S^1. This means that every point on the interval [0,1] or [0,1) corresponds to a point on the unit circle S^1 in a continuous manner.

2. How is the interval [0,1) different from [0,1]?

The interval [0,1) is a half-open interval, meaning that it includes all real numbers from 0 up to but not including 1. On the other hand, the interval [0,1] is a closed interval, meaning that it includes all real numbers from 0 up to and including 1.

3. What is a continuous mapping?

A continuous mapping is a function that preserves the closeness of points. This means that small changes in the input result in small changes in the output. In other words, as the input values get closer together, the corresponding output values also get closer together.

4. How is the unit circle S^1 represented?

The unit circle S^1 is a circle with a radius of 1 centered at the origin (0,0) in a two-dimensional Cartesian coordinate system. It is often represented using the equation x^2 + y^2 = 1, where x and y are the coordinates of a point on the circle.

5. What is the significance of [0,1) --> S^1 and [0,1] -->S^1 in science?

These mappings have applications in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and computer science. They can be used to represent periodic phenomena, such as the motion of a pendulum or the rotation of a wheel. Additionally, they are important in understanding and analyzing dynamical systems and chaos theory.