Bounding modulus of complex logarithm times complex power function

psie
TL;DR Summary
In my textbook (Ordinary Differential Equations by Andersson and Böiers), they claim that ##|(\log(z))^jz^\lambda|## can be bounded above by ##c|z|^l## for some integer ##l## and constant ##c##. I have a hard time confirming this.
It is claimed that the modulus of ##(\log(z))^jz^\lambda##, where ##j## is a positive integer (or ##0##) and ##\lambda## a complex number, can be bounded above by ##c|z|^l## for some integer ##l## and constant ##c##. Assume we are on the branch ##0\leq \mathrm{arg}(z)<2\pi## (yes, ##0## included; hence a discontinuous logarithm). Anyway, here's what I've tried so far.

Let ##\lambda_1## and ##\lambda_2## be the real and imaginary part of ##\lambda## respectively. By definition, ##\log(z)=\ln(|z|)+i\mathrm{arg}(z)##. Then $$|(\log(z))^j|=|\log(z)|^j\leq\left(\sqrt{\ln(|z|)^2+4\pi^2}\right)^j,$$ and $$|z^\lambda|=|e^{\lambda\log(z)}|=e^{\lambda_1\ln(|z|)}e^{-\lambda_2\arg(z)}=|z|^{\lambda_1}e^{-\lambda_2\arg(z)}.$$

Then someone has pointed to the limit ##\lim _{x\to \infty }\frac{(\ln x)^r}{x^k}=0## for ##r,k>0##, yet I don't see how we can write my simplification as this limit, if I have understood things right. Maybe there's another approach. Grateful for any help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you only interested in large values of z or is this supposed to be true near the origin as well?

Office_Shredder said:
Are you only interested in large values of z or is this supposed to be true near the origin as well?
I forgot to mention, it's supposed to be true near the origin, so for ##|z|>0## small. I have found a solution elsewhere and I think there's no harm in posting it here. Write ##\lambda=x+iy##. So

\begin{align} |(\log z)^j| &=|\log|z|+i\arg z|^j \nonumber \\ &\le\big(\big|\log|z|\big|+2\pi\big)^j \nonumber \\ &\le\left(\frac{1}{|z|}+2\pi\right)^j \nonumber \\ &\le\left(\frac{2}{|z|}\right)^j \nonumber \end{align}

The first inequality is the triangle inequality, second follows from ##ye^{-y}<1## when ##y=-\log|z|>0## is large and the third one is ##2\pi<\frac{1}{|z|}## for ##|z|## small. Moreover,

\begin{align} |z^\lambda| &=|\exp(\lambda\log z)| \nonumber \\ &=\exp\big(\operatorname{Re}(\lambda\log z)\big) \nonumber \\ &=\exp\big(x\log|z|-y\arg z\big) \nonumber \\ &=|z|^xe^{-y\arg z} \nonumber \\ &\le|z|^{\lfloor x\rfloor}e^{-y\arg z} \nonumber \\ &\le|z|^{\lfloor x\rfloor}e^{\max\{0,-2\pi y\}}. \nonumber \end{align}

Thus, ##|(\log z)^jz^\lambda|\le 2^je^{\max\{0,-2\pi y\}}|z|^{\lfloor x\rfloor-j}##.

I guess we can simplify this. If ##|\log(z)| \leq c|z|^n## then ##|\log(z)^j z^\lambda| \leq c^j |z|^{(nj+\lambda)}##. So it suffices to just consider ##\log(z)##.

Ignoring the discontinuity with the branch cut, we can try to just apply l'hospital's rule.

##\lim_{z\to 0} \log(z)/z^n## (with n negative, so you get an infinity over infinity) Taking one derivative gives ##(1/z)/( (nz^{n-1}) = 1/(nz^n)##. So even with ##n=-1## we get that this limit is zero, and hence ##|\log(z)| \leq |z^{-1}|## for small enough ##z##

Likes psie
Office_Shredder said:
I guess we can simplify this. If ##|\log(z)| \leq c|z|^n## then ##|\log(z)^j z^\lambda| \leq c^j |z|^{(nj+\lambda)}##.

A little more work to do, since [itex]\lambda[/itex] is complex. [tex]\begin{split}
|z^\lambda| &= |e^{\Re(\lambda \ln z)}| \\
&= |z|^{\Re(\lambda)}e^{-\Im(\lambda)\arg z} \end{split}[/tex] and having chosen your branch you can remove the dependence on [itex]\arg z[/itex] by maximising [itex]-\Im(\lambda) \arg(z)[/itex].

Likes Office_Shredder

What is the bounding modulus of complex logarithm times complex power function?

The bounding modulus of complex logarithm times complex power function is a mathematical concept that measures the maximum distance of the resulting complex number from the origin when the complex logarithm and complex power functions are combined.

How is the bounding modulus calculated for this combination of functions?

The bounding modulus is calculated by taking the absolute value of the product of the modulus of the complex logarithm and the modulus of the complex power function. This gives us the maximum distance of the resulting complex number from the origin.

What is the significance of the bounding modulus in this context?

The bounding modulus helps us understand how the combined effect of the complex logarithm and complex power functions affects the magnitude of the resulting complex number. It provides valuable insights into the behavior of these functions when they are used together.

Can the bounding modulus be used to make predictions about the behavior of the functions?

Yes, the bounding modulus can be used to make predictions about how the combined complex logarithm and complex power functions will behave in different scenarios. It helps us understand the limits and constraints of these functions when used together.

Are there any practical applications of studying the bounding modulus of complex logarithm times complex power function?

Studying the bounding modulus of complex logarithm times complex power function can be useful in various fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science. It can help in analyzing complex systems, optimizing algorithms, and solving differential equations, among other applications.