8.12 in Browder's "Mathematical Analysis: An Introduction"

In summary, the conversation discusses Proposition 8.12 and the definitions, remarks, and propositions leading up to it in Andrew Browder's book "Mathematical Analysis: An Introduction". The notation and meaning of $\text{df} (h)$ is discussed, as well as its geometric interpretation. The conversation also addresses the subscript $p$ and its significance, and clarifies the relationship between $\text{df} (h)$ and the differential $\text{df}_p (h)$. Finally, the conversation touches on the potential for misunderstandings with the notation used.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reader Andrew Browder's book: "Mathematical Analysis: An Introduction" ... ...

I am currently reading Chapter 8: Differentiable Maps and am specifically focused on Section 8.2 Differentials ...

I need some help in fully understanding Proposition 8.12 and the notes leading up to it ... ...

Proposition 8.12 and the definitions, remarks and propositions leading up to it read as follows:View attachment 7457
View attachment 7458
Now in the above notes from Browder:

\(\displaystyle \text{df}_p\) is the differential (derivative) of \(\displaystyle f\) at \(\displaystyle p\) and denotes (is) the linear map \(\displaystyle L\)

and

f ' (p) is the matrix of the linear map with respect to the standard basis My question relates to the notation (and more importantly the meaning) of \(\displaystyle \text{df} (h)\) in Proposition 8.12 ...... what exactly is \(\displaystyle \text{df} (h)\) ... ? What is its meaning in geometric terms? Has Browder left off the subscript p ... ?
It appears that \(\displaystyle \text{df} (h)\) is \(\displaystyle h\) mapped under the matrix \(\displaystyle df\) ... but evaluated at \(\displaystyle p\) ... ? How do we interpret this ...

and

... how is \(\displaystyle \text{df} (h)\) related to the differential (total derivative) \(\displaystyle \text{df} (h)_p\) ...?
Hope someone can clarify the above ...

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Peter,

Peter said:
... what exactly is \(\displaystyle \text{df} (h)\) ... ?

At each point $p$, $df_{p}:\mathbb{R}^{n}\rightarrow\mathbb{R}^{m}$ is a linear operator/mapping. There is no difference between $df_{p}(h)$ here and $Tv$ ($df_{p}=T$ and $h=v$ <-- Thank you to Krylov for noting that this should be $v$ not $p$) that we were discussing in your other post today, other than before $T$ was a fixed linear mapping and now the linear mapping is allowed to change from point to point, as indicated by the subscript $p$. This is just like single variable calculus where $f(x)\Longrightarrow df_{x}(dx)=f'(x)dx.$ Here $dx$ is the independent variable and corresponds to $h$ above. $f'(x)$ corresponds to the matrix representation of the linear operator $df_{x}$ that we multiply $dx$ by to compute the output of $df_{x}$ applied to $dx$. Finally, the subscript $x$ indicates that the linear operator (and therefore its corresponding matrix representation, $f'(x)$) is allowed to change/vary from point to point.

Peter said:
What is its meaning in geometric terms?

Geometrically $df_{p}$ maps vectors in $\mathbb{R}^{n}$ based at $p$ (i.e., that emanate from $p$ = whose tails are based at $p$) to vectors in $\mathbb{R}^{m}$ based at $f(p)$, and does so in such a way that it is the best linear approximation to the function $f$ at the point $p$. In other words, if you had to pick a linear function that most closely mimics the behavior of $f$ at the point $p$, you would pick $df_{p}$.

Peter said:
Has Browder left off the subscript p ... ?

Yes, this is common and is not considered an abuse of notation. This is similar to writing $f'$ instead of $f'(x)$.

Peter said:
It appears that \(\displaystyle \text{df} (h)\) is \(\displaystyle h\) mapped under the matrix \(\displaystyle df\) ... but evaluated at \(\displaystyle p\) ... ? How do we interpret this ...

It is true that there are two variables here, but thinking of them in the correct order should help clear things up. You start by choosing/fixing a value for $p$. This then fixes the linear operator $df_{p}$. The domain of this linear operator is now all vectors $h$ based at $p$ in $\mathbb{R}^{n}$.

Peter said:
... how is \(\displaystyle \text{df} (h)\) related to the differential (total derivative) \(\displaystyle \text{df} (h)_p\) ...?

I did not see where the author wrote $df(h)_{p}$ anywhere. At any rate, $df(h)$ and $df_{p}(h)$ are the same thing. One has the $p$ dependence suppressed and the other does not.

Last edited:
GJA said:
There is no difference between $df_{p}(h)$ here and $Tv$ ($df_{p}=T$ and $h=p$) that we were discussing in your other post today, other than before $T$ was a fixed linear mapping and now the linear mapping is allowed to change from point to point, as indicated by the subscript $p$.
I think that in the above sentence you meant that $h$ corresponds to $v$, not to $p$?

In fact, I agree with most of what GJA wrote, but I also have some remarks.

To me, the formulation of Prop. 8.12 is not very good. If I were to learn this material for the first time, I would be confused. "To be evaluated at $\mathbf{p}$" indeed wrongly suggests somehing like $d\mathbf{f}(\mathbf{h})_{\mathbf{p}}$. I do find it abuse of notation to write $d\mathbf{f}(\mathbf{h})$ when $d\mathbf{f}_p(\mathbf{h})$ (or: $d\mathbf{f}_p\mathbf{h}$, since the derivative at a point is a linear map) is meant, just as I find it abuse of notation to write $f'$ instead of $f'(x)$.

This abuse of notation is indeed fairly common, but it can easily lead to misunderstandings, particularly when differentiating mappings between function spaces.

Last edited:
Krylov said:
I think that in the above sentence you meant that $h$ corresponds to $v$, not to $p$?

You are most certainly right, Krylov! Thanks for spotting that typo.

Last edited:
GJA said:
You are most certainly right, Krylov! Thanks for spotting that typo.
Thanks to GJA and Krylov for their explanations and thoughts ...

... still reflecting on what you have written ...

Peter

Related to 8.12 in Browder's "Mathematical Analysis: An Introduction"

1. What is the significance of "8.12" in Browder's "Mathematical Analysis: An Introduction"?

"8.12" refers to the chapter and section number in Browder's textbook. It is part of the title of a specific section within the book.

2. What is the topic of section 8.12 in Browder's "Mathematical Analysis: An Introduction"?

The topic of section 8.12 is "The Intermediate Value Theorem" which is a fundamental theorem in mathematical analysis.

3. How does section 8.12 relate to other sections in Browder's "Mathematical Analysis: An Introduction"?

Section 8.12 builds upon concepts and theories discussed in previous sections, such as limits and continuity. It also serves as a foundation for further topics in the book.

4. Can the material in section 8.12 be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, the Intermediate Value Theorem has many real-world applications, such as in economics, physics, and engineering. It is used to prove the existence of solutions to certain problems.

5. Are there any additional resources or exercises available for section 8.12 in Browder's "Mathematical Analysis: An Introduction"?

Yes, many textbooks and online resources provide additional exercises and practice problems for the Intermediate Value Theorem. Students can also consult with their instructors or tutors for further guidance and resources.