A big storm over Sydney region

• Thread starter davenn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Storm
In summary, a storm last night knocked down trees and damaged buildings in Sydney, and many homes are still without power. A couple of people took lightning shots with their cameras and the footage shows the bright flashes of the lightning. There is a looped nylon cord that is used to pull up and down a mast in order to capture the radio waves.
davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2023 Award
Hi all

has a particularly nasty storm over the Sydney city area last nite
trees down, building damaged, this morning still many homes without power

a couple of lightning shots from home ...

2015_03_11_3270-1sm.jpg

2015_03_11_3289-1sm.jpg

cheers
Dave

Likes Evo and DaveC426913
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
Wow really nice action! Have you ever taken videos?

yes, I did some of that from down at the local wharf till the storm hit, then headed home to continue photo'ing from the relative safety of home

With all the new cameras and their HD capabilities, its frustrating that I ( and others) cannot produce great HD lightning video
With the CMOS sensor, that is almost the only available these days, they cannot handle the bright lightning flashes with the "rolling stutter" system they use
they produce dark and light banding across the frameFor video, I am still using a 9 year old Fuji S9500 that uses a CCD sensor, they used a on/off shutter mechanism. ( the signal from the sensor was switched on and off for each of the 25 - 30 fps frame rate) This resulted in clean lightning video but poorer quality because of the age of the technology and they are only around 640 x 480

I will still often pull individual frames out of the .avi video. Not overly sharp, but still good to look at :smile:

an example ...

070224(2579).jpg

cheers
Dave

Last edited:
Those cameras need a filter like those used on welding masks that darken according to the intensity of the arc, and clear up as the intensity diminishes.

Last edited:
davenn said:
a couple of lightning shots from home ...

How many antennas do you have on that mast in the first pic? Did you leave the feed lines connected during the storm?

Hi Mike

the top antenna is a Diamond X7000 tri-band vertical co-linear
  • 144/430/1200MHz (2m/70cm/23cm)
  • Gain:8.3dB (144MHz), 11.7dB (430MHz), 13.7dB (1200MHz)
  • Max. power rating:100W (144/430MHz), 60W (1200MHz)
  • Impedance: 50ohms
  • VSWR: Less than 1.5:1
  • Length: 5.0m
  • Radial length: approx. 52cm
  • Weight: 2.2kg
  • Rated wind velocity: 40m/sec.
  • Mast diameter accepted: 30mm to 62mm
  • Connector: N series female
    Type: 3 x 5/8wave C-Load (144MHz), 8 x 5/8wave C-Load (430MHz), 14 x 5/8wave C-Load (1200MHz), FRP outer shell
the yagi is 7 ele on 144 for SSB DX

There's a looped nylon cord that I use to pull up and down a 40m inverted V

Yes I make a habit of disconnecting the radio from the antenna
its a Kenwood TS2000X ( HF - 23cm) shack in a box haha

I'm in a rental property so cannot get too carried away with radio antennas

cheers
Dave

Astronuc said:
Those cameras need a filter like those used on welding masks that darken according to the intensity of the arc, and clear up as he intensity diminishes.

That would be sweet ... haven't seen anything like that for a camera. I miss a few strikes because they are just so close and bright that the image is just totally overexposed

Dave

here's a couple of examples of the cursed rolling shutter effect
it really destroys the images ...

example1.JPG
example2.JPG

cheers
Dave

Related to A big storm over Sydney region

1. What caused the big storm over Sydney region?

The big storm over Sydney region was caused by a combination of factors such as warm and moist air, strong winds, and a low pressure system. These conditions created instability in the atmosphere, leading to the development of thunderstorms and heavy rain.

2. How long did the big storm last over Sydney region?

The duration of the big storm over Sydney region can vary, but on average, it lasts for about 1-2 hours. However, some storms may last for a shorter or longer period of time depending on the intensity and movement of the storm system.

3. Were there any damages or casualties caused by the big storm over Sydney region?

Unfortunately, there were reports of damages and casualties caused by the big storm over Sydney region. Strong winds and heavy rain can cause power outages, flooding, and property damage. It is important to stay informed and follow safety precautions during severe weather events.

4. Can scientists predict when a big storm will occur over Sydney region?

While scientists can forecast the general weather patterns and conditions that may lead to a big storm, it is difficult to accurately predict the exact time and location of a storm. However, advanced technology and data analysis have improved the accuracy of weather forecasting, allowing for better preparation and warning for potential severe weather events.

5. Is the big storm over Sydney region a result of climate change?

The big storm over Sydney region is not necessarily a direct result of climate change. However, climate change can contribute to more frequent and intense weather events, including storms. It is important for scientists to continue studying and monitoring climate patterns to better understand and prepare for these changes.