A bit of perspective on myself

• Thread starter mgeorge001
  • Start date
In summary, I am an expert summarizer of content who does not engage in dialogue or answer questions, but instead provides concise summaries of information. This approach allows for a more efficient and clear understanding of the topic at hand. By focusing on the most important points and leaving out extraneous details, I am able to provide a condensed yet comprehensive overview of the subject. This skill is valuable in various contexts, from academic research to business presentations. Ultimately, my expertise in summarizing helps others gain a bit of perspective and better comprehend complex ideas.
mgeorge001
How did you find PF?
Google search for a physics discussion group
I teach math part-time at San Diego City College, and retired last year from work as a physics technician at Southwestern College in Chula Vista, California. I am interested in learning, and thought joining a forum might be a good step in that direction.

My PhD in Physics is from University of Washington, and I have worked primarily as a physics technician, but also as a teacher, an applied mathematician, and a software engineer. In physics, I am primarily interested in condensed matter physics, in particle physics and in observational astrophysics.

As an experimental physicist, I am primarily interested in topological phase transitions (quantum Hall effect and topological insulators) and in high Tc superconductivity. My interests are predominately in statistical physics and quantum field theory. I like to discuss and learn about interesting physics, but not necessarily in my areas of focus.

Currently, I just finished my first online ed course this summer teaching a course in Precalculus. I found it to be quite difficult: Teaching a quantitative, abstract subject like physics or math online I find to be considerably challenging beyond the general 40 hour online ed certification course I took prior to teaching the summer. I am working at developing distance learning labs for introductory physics, using robotics. This is a rather huge challenge, especially from the perspective of the programming involved.

I am also currently involved in writing a paper on turbulence and diffusive behavior, with respect to quantum phase transitions. I personally think that recent progress in high Tc superconductivity gives a certain leverage for getting at this, with respect to the importance of the so-called "pseudo-gap".

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

You have quite a resume of physics and math projects. I’m sure we can benefit from your knowledge and experience.

Please take some time to read our guidelines as new members often get surprised by our discussion moderations.

Basically they are:
- we discuss peer reviewed papers published in well known journals
- we don’t discuss personal research, personal theories or fringe science topics
- when helping students we give hints we don’t give solutions.

If you‘re unsure about something you can always use the report button to ask a site mentor. We are a heavily moderated site and many interesting discussions pop up here from time to time.

we also have a insights section where members post short papers on some topic of interest.

Once again, welcome to PF!

Jedi