A very interesting complex beta integral:

In summary, this is a third (Cauchy's) beta integral that can be derived from a general formula found in the paper SPECIAL FUNCTIONS AND THEIR SYMMETRIES by Vadim KUZNETSOV. It states that for \(a\) and \(b\) as integers, the integral \(\frac{1}{2\pi i }\int^{c+i\infty}_{c-i\infty}t^{-a} (1-t)^{-b-1}\, dt\) is equal to \(\frac{1}{b\,\beta(a,b)}\), where \(\beta(a,b)\) is given by the formula \(\frac{\pi 2^{2-a-b}\Gamma{(a+b
alyafey22
Gold Member
MHB
This is one of the most interesting integrals I've ever seen

$$\frac{1}{2\pi i }\int^{c+i\infty}_{c-i\infty}t^{-a} (1-t)^{-b-1}\, dt = \frac{1}{b\,\beta(a,b)}$$

Does anybody have any idea how to prove it ?

Physics news on Phys.org
ZaidAlyafey said:
This is one of the most interesting integrals I've ever seen

$$\frac{1}{2\pi i }\int^{c+i\infty}_{c-i\infty}t^{-a} (1-t)^{-b-1}\, dt = \frac{1}{b\,\beta(a,b)}$$

Does anybody have any idea how to prove it ?

Hi ZaidAlyafey, :)

Is \(a\) and/or \(b\) integers?

Sudharaka said:
Hi ZaidAlyafey, :)

Is \(a\) and/or \(b\) integers?

Hi, when first I saw this equality there didn't seem to be this restriction , but let us
assume for simplicity that a and b are integers.

I guess you are thinking about using residues in a way similar to the broomwich integral.

ZaidAlyafey said:
I guess you are thinking about using residues in a way similar to the broomwich integral.

Yeah, but I don't think I can find a way to get the required answer using that method. Where did you find this integral?

Sudharaka said:
Yeah, but I don't think I can find a way to get the required answer using that method. Where did you find this integral?

Well, after searching I got that which is called the Third(Cauchy's) beta integral :

$$\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}\frac{dt}{(1-it)^a(1+it)^b}= \frac{\pi 2^{2-a-b}\Gamma{(a+b-1)}}{\Gamma(a)\Gamma(b)}$$

Clearly our integral can be derived by doing a substitution , so this is a general formula
I found this in a paper SPECIAL FUNCTIONS AND THEIR SYMMETRIES by Vadim KUZNETSOV.

Related to A very interesting complex beta integral:

1. What is a complex beta integral?

A complex beta integral is a mathematical integral that involves the beta function, which is a special function used in calculus and statistics. It is called a complex beta integral because it involves complex numbers, which are numbers that have both a real and imaginary part.

2. What makes the complex beta integral interesting?

The complex beta integral is interesting because it has many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It also has connections to other areas of mathematics, such as complex analysis and special functions.

3. How is the complex beta integral calculated?

The complex beta integral is calculated using techniques from complex analysis, such as contour integration and the residue theorem. It can also be expressed in terms of other special functions, such as the gamma function.

4. What are some uses of the complex beta integral?

The complex beta integral is used in various fields to solve problems related to probability, statistics, and special functions. It can also be used to evaluate other types of integrals and to compute various mathematical series.

5. Are there any known applications of the complex beta integral?

Yes, the complex beta integral has been used in a variety of applications, including computing moments of random variables, evaluating complex contour integrals, and solving differential equations. It has also been used in theoretical physics to study quantum mechanics and statistical mechanics.