Accumulation Points in [0,1]: Understanding the Boundaries

• Thread starter mbarby
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Point
In summary, if 1 is an accumulation point of (0,1), then it should be contained in an interval like (1-e,1+e) (e=epsilon), but we don't have 1+e since it exceeds the interval border.
mbarby
are 0,1 accumulation points in (0,1) ? how about in [0,1] ?
if 0 and 1 are accumulation points in [0,1] interval what is the open subset they are in ?
i need explanation about this...pls...

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi mbarby! :smile:

An accumulation point of a set S is a point x such that every neighborhood of x contains a point of S (that is not x). Right?

Well, take (0,1), then every neighborhood around 1 contains a point of (0,1), thus 1 is an accumulation point of (0,1). And so is 0.
Likewise, 0 are 1 are accumulation points of [0,1].

what really confuses me here is that:
lets assume 1 is accumulation point in (0,1)
then shouldn't it be contained in an interval like (1-e, 1+e) (e=epsilon)
but we don't have 1+e since it exceeds interval border..
where am i wrong now ?

mbarby said:
then shouldn't it be contained in an interval like (1-e, 1+e) (e=epsilon)
but we don't have 1+e since it exceeds interval border..
where am i wrong now ?

You are considering (0,1) as a subset of the space [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex], or are you considering (0,1) as a subset of itself?

Anyway, 1 is an accumulation point because every interval (1-e,1+e) around 1 contains a point of (0,1). I don't see what 1+e exceeding the interval boundary has to do with this?

sorry for the questions , i am not a math guy. but topology is one of the topics i want to learn. so somethings are as clear to me as it is to you guys.
(0,1) is the space's itself. so we can't take an interval of (1-e, 1+e) without exceeding 1 by +e.
but what i get from your reaction is that we can take the (1-e, 1+e) interval even if it exceeds the boundary, is that right ?
if so why is that possible ? or isn't there a rule against it ? etc.
thx for the quick explanations by the way.

mbarby said:
sorry for the questions , i am not a math guy. but topology is one of the topics i want to learn. so somethings are as clear to me as it is to you guys.
(0,1) is the space's itself. so we can't take an interval of (1-e, 1+e) without exceeding 1 by +e.
but what i get from your reaction is that we can take the (1-e, 1+e) interval even if it exceeds the boundary, is that right ?
if so why is that possible ? or isn't there a rule against it ? etc.
thx for the quick explanations by the way.

Ah, I think I get it. But if your space is (0,1), then 1 doesn't belong to this space, thus cannot be an accumulation point. In [0,1], 1 is an accumulation point of (0,1). Indeed, the set (1-e,1] is open in [0,1] and contains points from (0,1).

thx a lot this explains a great to me.
is it true , then , if i say any interval having the border of the interval is open, or sth similar to that ?

mbarby said:

That's the problem right there. 1 is an accumulation point OF (0,1). But it's wrong to say that 1 is IN (0,1). I believe your use of "in" rather than "of" is causing you to mis-think about this.

mbarby said:
thx a lot this explains a great to me.
is it true , then , if i say any interval having the border of the interval is open, or sth similar to that ?

Well, yes, something similar. Things like ]a,1] and [0,a[ are open in [0,1]. But things like [0.5,1] isn't...

thx all guys,
that eased my mind. i was tearing myself apart to understand where i was making the mistakes :/ ...

Related to Accumulation Points in [0,1]: Understanding the Boundaries

What is an accumulation point?

An accumulation point, also known as a limit point, is a point in a set where every neighborhood of the point contains infinitely many points of the set.

What is the difference between an accumulation point and a limit point?

While both terms refer to the same concept, an accumulation point is typically used in the context of a general set, while a limit point is used in the context of a metric space.

How do you find the accumulation points of a set?

To find the accumulation points of a set, you can use the following steps:1. List out all the points in the set.2. For each point, find a neighborhood that contains infinitely many points of the set.3. The intersection of all these neighborhoods is the set of accumulation points.

Can a set have more than one accumulation point?

Yes, a set can have multiple accumulation points. For example, the set [0,1] has two accumulation points, 0 and 1.

What is the importance of accumulation points in mathematics?

Accumulation points are important in various areas of mathematics, such as analysis, topology, and calculus. They help us understand the behavior of a set and its limit points, which can be applied to solving problems in these fields.