Achieving bigger popcorn through vacuum pump

In summary, the conversation discussed the effect of fitting a vacuum pump to a popcorn maker on the size of the popped kernels. It was explained that heat causes the moisture inside the kernel to mix with the starch and form a gel-like substance. As the moisture turns to steam, the pressure inside the kernel builds up until the hull breaks and the starch expands. The expansion of the water vapor was modeled using an adiabatic expansion equation, which showed that the final volume of the kernel would depend on the surrounding pressure. It was then questioned whether the yield pressure in the equation should be the absolute pressure or the differential pressure. It was pointed out that the term "yield pressure" is misleading as it suggests the differential pressure for hull failure,
ianyappy
I'm tutoring a high-school level student where one of the questions is asking why fitting a vacuum pump to a popcorn maker would cause the popped kernels to get bigger. For those unfamiliar with popcorn :), it's modeled as a sealed hulled with starch and moisture inside. Heat causes the moisture to mix with the starch to form a gel-like substance, and as the moisture turns to vapor/steam, the pressure inside builds up till it causes the hull to break. The gel-like starch gets pushed out and expands till it solidifies.

Reading a paper by the guy who developed this idea, he modeled the expansion of the water vapor inside the kernel as an adiabatic expansion

[itex]P_{Y}V_{0}^{\gamma}=C_0=\text{constant} \\
\text{where} \\
P_{Y}- \text{yield pressure}\\
V_{0}-\text{initial volume of the kernel}\\
\gamma-C_p/C_v
[/itex]

Resulting manipulations show that the final volume of the kernel would depend on the surrounding pressure around the kernel, thus causing the popcorn to be bigger in a vacuum.

My question is regarding the above equation. Would the yield pressure not depend on the difference between the surrounding pressure and the internal pressure of the hull? I believe the rest of the terms in the equation (i.e. excluding pressure) do not depend on the surrounding pressure so is this correct or have I misunderstood something?

Physics news on Phys.org
The corn will pop when the differential pressure exceeds the yield strength of the hull. In a vacuum, the pop will occur at a very slightly lower temperature than when in one atmosphere.

On popping, the reduction of pressure would cause all moisture in the corn to flash to steam.
This fixed mass of gas (steam) would have a final volume determined by the external pressure.

The mass of water in the corn will pre-determine the mass of steam produced.
In a vacuum that final volume could approach infinity.

Maybe you are not considering the steam explosion of the entire water mass. That will occur independently of the hull yield pressure and temperature.

Thank you for your reply, sorry for my lack of understanding but perhaps I should highlight the point that I'm confused about. In the given equation, my understanding is that all terms excluding pressure are the same regardless of surrounding pressure. However, since as you say that the pressure at which the corn will pop depends on the differential pressure (i.e. [itex]P_{\text{internal}} - P_{\text{surronding}}[/itex]), isn't that inconsistent with the equation?

I believe that it depends on the precise definition of Py. Is Py the absolute internal pressure on bursting, or the hull pressure differential on bursting, Py = (Pinternal - Pexternal).

Looking at the linked article. “Let Py be the yield pressure at which the adiabatic expansion begins, and Vo be the initial unpopped volume of the kernel.” It is implied by the equation that Py is being used as the absolute internal pressure when the corn pops. The term “yield pressure” is therefore misleading because it suggests the differential pressure for failure of the hull. The hull will actually fail at a differential pressure of (Py – Po).

Which is my point actually, if the hull breaks at a fixed/constant differential pressure, how could an absolute pressure be used in the equation, given all other things are constant?

I believe the fundamental Pressure * Volume relationship in thermodynamics must be based on absolute pressures and absolute volumes, not differential pressures and differential volumes.
How do you define Py ?

I take Py as that from the paper, the absolute pressure.

ianyappy said:
Which is my point actually, if the hull breaks at a fixed/constant differential pressure, how could an absolute pressure be used in the equation, given all other things are constant?
If you notice he has estimated the yield pressure to be an approxiamate value of 200 times that of atmosphere pressure ( not an exact value since popcorn will not all pop at exactly 200, some at a lower pressure of 198 or less and some higher depending upon hull thickneess ). He did not give an error value to be used in his calculations. We can assume perhaps 2% for the majority of popcorn, so we could have a yield pressure of 196 to 204 atmospheres.
The error (0.5% ) of not subtracting the outside atmospheric pressure from the internal yield pressure thus becomes not that significant.

Related to Achieving bigger popcorn through vacuum pump

What is a vacuum pump?

A vacuum pump is a device that removes gas molecules from a sealed volume in order to create a partial vacuum. It works by creating a pressure difference, with the vacuum pump's inlet being at a lower pressure than its outlet.

How does using a vacuum pump achieve bigger popcorn?

When making popcorn, the kernels contain moisture that turns into steam when heated. When a vacuum pump is used, the air pressure is reduced, causing the water to boil at a lower temperature. This results in the kernels popping at a larger size, creating bigger popcorn.

What type of vacuum pump is best for achieving bigger popcorn?

A rotary vane vacuum pump is typically the best type for achieving bigger popcorn. This type of pump is able to achieve the highest levels of vacuum and can operate continuously without overheating, making it ideal for use in popcorn machines.

Can any type of popcorn be made bigger with a vacuum pump?

Yes, any type of popcorn can be made bigger using a vacuum pump. However, the moisture content of the kernels can affect the results. Drier kernels tend to produce bigger popcorn, while kernels with higher moisture content may not see as much of an increase in size.

Are there any safety concerns when using a vacuum pump for making popcorn?

Yes, there are some safety concerns to consider when using a vacuum pump for making popcorn. It is important to carefully follow the manufacturer's instructions and safety precautions, as the pump may generate high temperatures and pressures which can be dangerous if not handled properly.