Acoustic Impedance - Ultrasound Propagation in Tissue

In summary, the conversation discusses the reason why most of the ultrasound is reflected back when there is a high acoustic impedance mismatch between two boundaries at an interface. The possible explanation is refraction and Snell's law, where if the speed of sound in medium 2 is higher than medium 1, more of the transmitted wave will bend away from the normal and potentially result in total internal reflection. However, it is also noted that absorption may be the dominant phenomenon. The conversation also mentions the use of US NDT to measure the liquid level in a 2000 psi steam drum.
Jimmy87
Hi, I was just wondering why, when the acoustic impedance mismatch is so high between two boundaries at an interface, most of the ultrasound is reflected back. I was just wondering why this happens which I can't seem to find much of an answer to. The only thing I can think of is refraction and snells law. For example, if medium 2 has a much higher speed of sound than medium 1 then more of the transmitted wave will bend away from the normal. If the materials have a very big difference then you would get total internal reflection. Is this right or is this completely wrong? What I'm basically trying to say is that when the impedance mismatch is high is the reason why most of it is reflected is because you get total internal reflection of the ultrasound wave due to refraction?

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Acoustic Impedance - Ultrasound Propagation in Tissue

What is acoustic impedance?

Acoustic impedance is a measure of the resistance that a material presents to the propagation of sound waves. It is affected by the density and speed of sound in the material.

How does acoustic impedance affect ultrasound propagation in tissue?

Acoustic impedance mismatch between different tissues can result in reflection or scattering of ultrasound waves, which can provide valuable information about the structure and composition of tissues.

What factors can affect acoustic impedance in tissue?

The density and speed of sound in tissue are the main factors that affect acoustic impedance. Other factors such as temperature, pressure, and tissue composition can also play a role.

How is acoustic impedance measured in tissue?

Acoustic impedance can be measured using ultrasound techniques, such as through the use of transducers that emit and receive sound waves and measure their amplitude and frequency.

What are the applications of understanding acoustic impedance in tissue?

Understanding acoustic impedance in tissue is essential in medical imaging, as it allows for the visualization and characterization of different tissues. It is also used in many other fields, such as non-destructive testing and industrial processes.