All complex # satisfying the equation

• MHB
  • Thread starter Dustinsfl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Complex
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the solution to the equation $i^z = 2$ by taking the principal log and determining that the only solution is $z = \frac{-2i\ln 2}{\pi}$. The general solution is also mentioned, given by $z=-i\frac{\ln 2}{\frac{\pi}{2}+2k\pi}$. However, it is noted that only one value of $k$ (corresponding to the principal value of $\log i$) yields the desired solution of $z= \frac{-2i\ln 2}{\pi}$.
Dustinsfl
$i^z = 2$

Take the principal log so $\theta\in (-\pi, \pi)$
$$
z\log i = \ln 2\Leftrightarrow z\log |i| + zi\frac{\pi}{2} = \ln 2\Leftrightarrow z = \frac{-2i\ln 2}{\pi}.
$$

This is the only solution correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
dwsmith said:
$i^z = 2$

Take the principal log so $\theta\in (-\pi, \pi)$
$$
z\log i = \ln 2\Leftrightarrow z\log |i| + zi\frac{\pi}{2} = \ln 2\Leftrightarrow z = \frac{-2i\ln 2}{\pi}.
$$

This is the only solution correct?

The general solution of the equation $i^{z}=2$ is...

$\displaystyle z=-i\ \frac{\ln 2}{\frac{\pi}{2}+2 k \pi}$ (1)

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:
The general solution of the equation $i^{z}=2$ is...

$\displaystyle z=-i\ \frac{\ln 2}{\frac{\pi}{2}+2 k \pi}$ (1)

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

I thought that at first but if you use Mathematica and try values for k, no other value yields 2 except k = 0.

dwsmith said:
I thought that at first but if you use Mathematica and try values for k, no other value yields 2 except k = 0.
$k=0$ corresponds to the principal value of $\log i$, which is what the question asks for.

Yes, this is the only solution for the equation $i^z = 2$. Since $i$ is a complex number with a magnitude of 1 and an argument of $\frac{\pi}{2}$, raising it to any power will only affect its argument and not its magnitude. Therefore, the only way for $i^z$ to equal 2 is if the argument of $i$ is multiplied by $z$. By taking the principal log, we can find the value of $z$ that satisfies this equation.

Related to All complex # satisfying the equation

1. What is the equation that all complex numbers satisfy?

The equation that all complex numbers satisfy is z = a + bi, where z is a complex number, a is the real part, and bi is the imaginary part.

2. How do you represent complex numbers graphically?

Complex numbers can be represented graphically on a coordinate plane, where the real part is represented on the x-axis and the imaginary part is represented on the y-axis.

3. What is the difference between a complex number and a real number?

A complex number has both a real and imaginary part, while a real number only has a real part. Complex numbers also have the form of a + bi, while real numbers are just a single value on the number line.

4. Can complex numbers have a negative imaginary part?

Yes, complex numbers can have a negative imaginary part. This means that the imaginary part is represented with a negative coefficient, such as -2i.

5. How are complex numbers used in real life applications?

Complex numbers are commonly used in engineering, physics, and mathematics to represent quantities that have both a real and imaginary component. They are also used in electrical engineering to represent AC circuits and in signal processing for analyzing signals with both real and imaginary components.