Amplifier or oscillator for a vibration generator

arosinblum
I purchased this vibration generator to construct a Chladni plate. I was hoping to use it with my existing oscilloscope (which appears to be very old). It seems the oscilloscope is not giving me a signal strong enough to drive the generator. Any suggestions for a different amplifier or power signal generator that wont break the bank but will be powerful enough to drive the vibration generator?

Physics news on Phys.org
Oscilloscope? Maybe you mean audio oscillator.

The vibration generator is basically a loudspeaker.
Use the audio oscillator as the signal source.
Use an audio power amplifier to amplify the oscillator, and to drive the vibration generator.

arosinblum said:
It seems the oscilloscope is not giving me a signal strong enough to drive the generator.
A normal oscilloscope doesn't produce signals. It analyses them. A suitable audio oscillator needs to be fairly powerful to get a decent displacement of that transducer at sub-audio frequencies. The type of oscillator needs to have a suitable frequency range so it needs to be like the one mentioned on the link. A general purpose audio oscillator may not do the job so be careful of the spec of anything you may need to buy second hand.
A DIY version of a LF vibration generator can be made with a model electric motor with an eccentric load and a variable voltage power supply. You can measure the frequency with your oscilloscope. Not the best but quite a bit cheaper and a good base for future experiments.

Likes DaveE
I think you need, say, 2 watts or more of audio power to drive one of these. I have used a Chladni plate with the very same vibration generator as you describe.

Likes sophiecentaur