An expression resembling Laguerre

In summary, Euge gave me once the idea for a similar expression by taking $k+j$ outside the 2nd sum and the remaining becomes equal to ${(b+c)}^{n}$. As for the first term, when divided by $k!$ it will be less or equal to$\sum_{k=0}^{n}{n \choose k} {a}^{k}/k!$ So if this one converges to some sum that tends to zero, OR Instead to a finite value, But $b+c<1$ then mission done and ${S}_{n}$ tends to zero.
sarrah1
This was posted to calculus forum. I suppose it should have been posted here.

I am trying to find a closed form expression/or limit as $n\implies\infty$ of

${S}_{n}=\sum_{k=0}^{n}{n \choose k} {a}^{k} \sum_{j=0}^{n}{n \choose j}\frac{{b}^{n-j}{c}^{j}}{(k+j)!}$

where $a$ , $b$ and $c$ are positive constants

the ultimate aim is to find the limit of ${S}_{n}$ as $n$ tends to infinity and that this limit is zero under some conditions imposed upon the constants a,b,c.

Euge gave me once the idea for a similar expression by taking $k+j$ outside the 2nd sum and the remaining becomes equal to ${(b+c)}^{n}$ . As for the first term, when divided by $k!$ it will be less or equal to

$\sum_{k=0}^{n}{n \choose k} {a}^{k}/k!$

So if this one converges to some sum that tends to zero, OR Instead to a finite value, But $b+c<1$ then mission done and ${S}_{n}$ tends to zero.

On a second thought the expression $\sum_{k=0}^{n}{n \choose k} {a}^{k}/k!$ is a Laguerre polynomial ${L}_{n}(-a) , a>0 $ which diverges $n\implies\infty$ . so one has to rely on the whole expression ${S}_{n}$ above. If someone knows if there is some double Laguerre, or product of 2 laguerre polynomials or double binomial transform, etc...
I shall be grateful
happy new prosperous year
special regards to Euge, Oplag and Akbach

sarrah

Physics news on Phys.org
Dear Oplag
I received this in my mailbox:

I should have looked a bit further before posting that. Apparently it is my browser (Safari) that is at fault, because when I look at the same pages with Firefox, the formulas are correctly rendered.
***************There may also be other replies, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again.

All the best,
Math Help Boards | Free Math Help

I couldn't track your letter, unless I didn't get what you meant
sarrah

sarrah said:
This was posted to calculus forum. I suppose it should have been posted here.

I am trying to find a closed form expression/or limit as $n\implies\infty$ of

${S}_{n}=\sum_{k=0}^{n}{n \choose k} {a}^{k} \sum_{j=0}^{n}{n \choose j}\frac{{b}^{n-j}{c}^{j}}{(k+j)!}$

where $a$ , $b$ and $c$ are positive constants

the ultimate aim is to find the limit of ${S}_{n}$ as $n$ tends to infinity and that this limit is zero under some conditions imposed upon the constants a,b,c.

Euge gave me once the idea for a similar expression by taking $k+j$ outside the 2nd sum and the remaining becomes equal to ${(b+c)}^{n}$ . As for the first term, when divided by $k!$ it will be less or equal to

$\sum_{k=0}^{n}{n \choose k} {a}^{k}/k!$

So if this one converges to some sum that tends to zero, OR Instead to a finite value, But $b+c<1$ then mission done and ${S}_{n}$ tends to zero.

On a second thought the expression $\sum_{k=0}^{n}{n \choose k} {a}^{k}/k!$ is a Laguerre polynomial ${L}_{n}(-a) , a>0 $ which diverges $n\implies\infty$ . so one has to rely on the whole expression ${S}_{n}$ above. If someone knows if there is some double Laguerre, or product of 2 laguerre polynomials or double binomial transform, etc...
I shall be grateful
happy new prosperous year
special regards to Euge, Oplag and Akbach

sarrah

Dear all
incidentally, i gave values for $a,b,c$ like equal to 1, it was divergent. When I gave the value 0.5 to all, it converged. So there must be a condition on the constants to promote convergence
sarrah

Related to An expression resembling Laguerre

1. What is an expression resembling Laguerre?

An expression resembling Laguerre is a mathematical expression that has a similar form to the Laguerre polynomial, which is a special type of polynomial used in calculus and mathematics. It is often used to solve problems in physics, engineering, and other fields.

2. How is an expression resembling Laguerre different from a Laguerre polynomial?

An expression resembling Laguerre may have a similar form to a Laguerre polynomial, but it may not be an exact representation. The coefficients and variables may differ, and the expression may serve a different purpose or have a different application.

3. What are some examples of expressions resembling Laguerre?

Some examples of expressions resembling Laguerre include the Hermite polynomials, the Bessel functions, and the Airy functions. These expressions often have a similar form to the Laguerre polynomial and are used in various areas of mathematics and science.

4. How are expressions resembling Laguerre used in scientific research?

Expressions resembling Laguerre are commonly used in scientific research to solve problems and equations in various fields, such as quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, and thermodynamics. They are also used in data analysis and modeling in areas like physics, chemistry, and engineering.

5. Are there any real-world applications of expressions resembling Laguerre?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of expressions resembling Laguerre. Some examples include calculating energy levels in atoms and molecules, modeling particle behavior in physics experiments, and analyzing data in financial markets. These expressions are also used in computer science and engineering for tasks like image processing and signal analysis.