Analyzing Data: Is There a Significant Difference Between Two Screening Tools?

• MHB
  • Thread starter mermaidrunner
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Data
In summary: Sure, I can take a look at your analyses. When you say "related to this", can you elaborate?I ran a two-proportion z-test to see if there was a significant difference in the number of referrals between the two tools. Tool A referred 34 kids and tool B referred 16 kids. I think that the z-test is appropriate, but you might want to look into a different statistic like the t-test.
mermaidrunner
I gathered some data on kids who were screened for a disorder using two screening tools. Each child was screened using both tools. I wanted to see if one tool referred more kids for further testing than the other. I need to determine if there is a significant difference between the number of referrals of the two tools. Tool A referred 34 kids and tool B referred 16 kids. Best way to analyze in SPSS?

Physics news on Phys.org
If I get you right, for each kid you have two samples, one for each tool. Both numbers are continuous and you want to compare the tools ? If so, paired t test

Yankel said:
If I get you right, for each kid you have two samples, one for each tool. Both numbers are continuous and you want to compare the tools ? If so, paired t test

Yes, that is correct. Each kid has a result from each tool. There were 51 total kids tested. My main concern is that these screening tools aren't scored on a numerical scale. It is strictly pass or fail - is that going to have an impact on using the paired t test? Should I be looking at something more nonparametrical?

mermaidrunner said:
Yes, that is correct. Each kid has a result from each tool. There were 51 total kids tested. My main concern is that these screening tools aren't scored on a numerical scale. It is strictly pass or fail - is that going to have an impact on using the paired t test? Should I be looking at something more nonparametrical?

Hi mermaidrunner. Welcome to MHB!

That sounds like a two-proportion z-test, pooled for $H_0\colon p_1=p_2$.

See for instance this wiki page.

Oh, it ain't numerical...you still have this problem that you get pairs, 2 samples for each kid, meaning you have correlation between these samples.

What about the McNemar's test ?

I like Serena said:
Hi mermaidrunner. Welcome to MHB!

That sounds like a two-proportion z-test, pooled for $H_0\colon p_1=p_2$.

See for instance this wiki page.

I had some trouble setting up Mcnemars in spss.. it wasn't looking right . Any suggestions?

I actually went ahead and ran the 2 proportion z-test (in Minitab). Is that going to be effective? Just trying to cover all my bases before submitting.

I think that the two proportion Z test is not suitable here, you have correlation within kids.

Here is a youtube clips showing how to do McNemar's test on SPSS.

McNemar Test - SPSS (part 1) - YouTube

Minitab doesn't support it, but you can download a macro from their website which does it.

Can anyone spare a few minutes (with SPSS) and look over some analyses I ran related to this? Sorry, I'm out of the stats loop and need these for a project...

Related to Analyzing Data: Is There a Significant Difference Between Two Screening Tools?

1. How do I determine the best statistical test to use for my data?

To determine the best statistical test for your data, you must first consider the type of data you have (e.g. numerical, categorical, etc.), the number of variables being analyzed, and the research question being asked. Consulting with a statistician or using online resources, such as statistical software, can also help guide you in selecting the appropriate test.

2. What is the importance of data preprocessing in data analysis?

Data preprocessing involves cleaning, organizing, and transforming raw data into a format suitable for analysis. It is important because it helps to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the results by eliminating errors and irrelevant data. It also helps to identify any missing data or outliers that may affect the analysis.

3. How do I handle missing data in my analysis?

Handling missing data depends on the type of analysis being performed and the reason for the missing values. If the data is missing at random, it can be ignored or replaced with the mean or median of the variable. If the data is missing systematically, it may be necessary to use imputation methods, such as regression or k-nearest neighbors, to fill in the missing values.

4. What is the difference between descriptive and inferential statistics?

Descriptive statistics involves summarizing and describing the characteristics of a dataset, such as measures of central tendency and variability. Inferential statistics, on the other hand, involves using sample data to make inferences or predictions about a larger population. It allows us to draw conclusions or test hypotheses based on the data.

5. How can I visually represent my data for better understanding?

There are many ways to visually represent data, including bar graphs, pie charts, histograms, scatter plots, and box plots. The type of graph or chart used depends on the type of data being analyzed and the research question being asked. It is important to choose a visual representation that accurately and clearly communicates the data to the audience.