Angular acceleration of a massless pulley

In summary, the tension in a massless string going over a massless frictionless pulley with masses M1 and M2 at the end of the string will be the same. The torque equation of the pulley, (T1-T2)=Iα, where I is the moment of inertia and α is the angular acceleration, becomes indeterminate in this case because I=0. However, the pulley will still rotate with some angular acceleration, determined by α=a/R where a is the linear acceleration of the masses and R is the radius of the pulley. The net torque on the pulley and its angular acceleration are coupled equations and can be solved together. In the case of a massless pulley, the angular acceleration
Tanya Sharma
Consider a massless string going over a massless frictionless pulley with masses M1 and M2 at the end of the string.

The tension in the string would be same.

The torque equation of the pulley says (T1-T2)=Iα .Now L.H.S is zero since T1=T2 and also I=0 .

So,we have a condition 0=(0)(α) which makes α indeterminate .But we know that the pulley rotates with some angular acceleration.

So ,how is α determined ?

Is α=a/R where R is the radius of the pulley and a=[(M2-M1)g]/(M1+M2) ?

Physics news on Phys.org
If there's no friction, a massless pulley will just stay in place as the rope slides along it.

By frictionless,I mean frictionless at the axle .There is sufficient friction present between the pulley and the string.
It is a different matter although that a massless pulley requires zero torque(zero friction) to rotate.

The pulley will rotate .But from the torque equation , we can't determine the angular acceleration.

Yes, you answered your own question correctly

Likes 1 person
Thanks dauto :)

Another clarification i am looking at is whether the net torque on the pulley determines its angular acceleration ,or is it the other way round ,i.e angular acceleration determines the torque ?

When the pulley has mass , (T2-T1)R = Iα and α=a/R .

Does that mean the linear acceleration of the masses 'a' determines the angular acceleration 'α' .This 'α' in turn determines the value of net torque ?

Tanya Sharma said:
Thanks dauto :)

Another clarification i am looking at is whether the net torque on the pulley determines its angular acceleration ,or is it the other way round ,i.e angular acceleration determines the torque ?

When the pulley has mass , (T2-T1)R = Iα and α=a/R .

Does that mean the linear acceleration of the masses 'a' determines the angular acceleration 'α' .This 'α' in turn determines the value of net torque ?
In this case, the force balances on the masses and the torque balance on the pulley need to be coupled with one another to solve for the angular acceleration of the pulley or, equivalently, the linear accelerations of the masses (using α=a/R). Write the three equations out, and see how this plays out.

Chet

Likes 1 person
Thanks Chet...I understand what you are saying...I am just unsure about the case of a massless pulley...

In the case of the massless pulley ,the angular acceleration is solely determined by the linear acceleration of the masses .Right?

Tanya Sharma said:
Thanks Chet...I understand what you are saying...I am just unsure about the case of a massless pulley...

In the case of the massless pulley ,the angular acceleration is solely determined by the linear acceleration of the masses .Right?
Yes. You already have it.

(T1-T2)R=Iα=Ia/R
M1a=M1g-T1
M2a=T2-M2g
So, combining these equations, we get:
[tex]a(M_1+M_2+\frac{I}{R^2})=(M_1-M_2)g[/tex]
When I = 0, you get the linear acceleration result.

Likes 1 person
Thanks Chet :smile:

Related to Angular acceleration of a massless pulley

1. What is the formula for calculating the angular acceleration of a massless pulley?

The angular acceleration of a massless pulley can be calculated using the formula: α = (2T - mgR) / (mR^2), where T is the tension in the string, m is the mass of the object attached to the string, and R is the radius of the pulley.

2. How does the angular acceleration of a massless pulley affect the acceleration of the object attached to the string?

The angular acceleration of a massless pulley is directly related to the linear acceleration of the object attached to the string. As the angular acceleration increases, the linear acceleration of the object also increases.

3. Can the angular acceleration of a massless pulley be negative?

Yes, the angular acceleration of a massless pulley can be negative. This occurs when the tension in the string is less than the weight of the object attached to the string, resulting in a negative net torque and a negative angular acceleration.

4. Is the angular acceleration of a massless pulley affected by the mass of the pulley itself?

No, the mass of the pulley does not affect the angular acceleration of a massless pulley. This is because the pulley is assumed to have no mass, and therefore does not contribute to the net torque on the system.

5. How does the radius of the pulley affect the angular acceleration of a massless pulley?

The radius of the pulley has a direct effect on the angular acceleration of a massless pulley. A larger radius results in a smaller angular acceleration, while a smaller radius results in a larger angular acceleration, assuming all other factors remain constant.