Angular Acceleration of A rod with friction. Dynamics (General Plane)

In summary, the problem involves a 100 kg rod with a length of 2.1 m being lifted on the left end until the angle between the ground and the right end is 30 degrees. The right end remains in contact with the ground and the coefficient of friction between the rod and the ground is 0.5. The goal is to find the angular acceleration at the instant the rod is released.
viperking

Homework Statement

A 100 kg slender rod is lifted on the left end until the angle between the ground and the right end is 30 degrees. The right end is still in contact with the ground. The coefficient of friction between the rod and the ground is .5 and the length of the rod is 2.1 m.

Homework Equations

∑fx=m(ag)x
∑fy=m(ag)y
∑Mg=Ig
Ff=.5Fn

The Attempt at a Solution

I summed the forces in the x direction and got -Ff=m(ag)x
In the y direction I got -981+Fn=m(ag)y but i think the y acceleration of the center of gravity may be zero because of the fact that the bar can't translate up or down due to the contact with the ground. It can only rotate or slip horizontally on the ground. Finally i summed the moments about the center of gravity and got that fn(1.05cos(30))+Ff(1.05sin(30))=36.75∂

I got a final answer of 17.26 rad/s^2 counter clockwise, but i don't think it is correct. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the actual question?

paisiello2 said:
What is the actual question?

Find the angular acceleration at the instant it is released. So the angle is 30 degrees

The center of mass will accelerate in the y-direction as well as the x-direction.

I would suggest double checking your calculations and assumptions. It is important to consider all forces acting on the rod, including the normal force and the force of friction. Additionally, the angle of the rod and the coefficient of friction may also affect the calculations. It may also be helpful to draw a free body diagram to visually understand the forces at play. If you are still unsure, I would recommend consulting with a colleague or using a physics simulation program to verify your answer.

Related to Angular Acceleration of A rod with friction. Dynamics (General Plane)

1. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity of an object. It is a measure of how quickly the angular velocity of an object changes over time.

2. How is angular acceleration calculated?

Angular acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. The formula is: angular acceleration = (final angular velocity - initial angular velocity) / time interval.

3. How does friction affect the angular acceleration of a rod?

Friction can decrease the angular acceleration of a rod by opposing the motion of the rod and creating a resistive force. This means that more energy is required to overcome the friction, resulting in a slower angular acceleration.

4. Is the direction of angular acceleration always the same as the direction of angular velocity?

No, the direction of angular acceleration can be different from the direction of angular velocity. Angular acceleration is a vector quantity, so it has both magnitude and direction. It depends on the direction of the net torque acting on the object.

5. How does the mass of a rod affect its angular acceleration?

The mass of a rod does not directly affect its angular acceleration. Instead, it is the distribution of mass along the rod that can impact the moment of inertia, which is a factor in calculating angular acceleration. A larger moment of inertia can result in a lower angular acceleration.