Another relative speed and size question

In summary, the conversation discusses a hypothetical scenario where the universe is the size of a laptop and a person moves their hand over it. It raises questions about the speed of light, its relation to size, and the possibility of breaking the speed of light. However, the concept is illogical and contradictory to mainstream science. The conversation ends with the thread being closed for discussion.
patricktaylor
if the universe was the size of my laptop, and i moved my hand over my laptop from one end to the the other in let's say ... 1 second . relative too the universe my hand would have moved millions of times faster than the speed of light. Why is this? is speed relative to size?

Physics news on Phys.org

patricktaylor said:
if the universe was the size of my laptop, and i moved my hand over my laptop from one end to the the other in let's say ... 1 second . relative too the universe my hand would have moved millions of times faster than the speed of light. Why is this? is speed relative to size?
That just makes no sense. "If the universe was the size of my laptop" then what time would it take light to pass over it? How long is a km in that scale? And are you not part of that universe? If so, you cannot move your hand over it. If not, your speed is not relevant to it.

Going back to your original question, if you were given this as homework, obviously someone expects you to be able to answer it yourself! What course is this for? Do you not know the Lorentz transformation equations or the formula for combining speeds?

the point of the question was to see if by me, hypotheticaly being larger than the universe and if you like .. separate from it. Would my finger break the light speed constant as it was passing over the laptop sized universe? even though the speed of my hand would seem slow to me

patricktaylor said:
the point of the question was to see if by me, hypotheticaly being larger than the universe and if you like .. separate from it. Would my finger break the light speed constant as it was passing over the laptop sized universe? even though the speed of my hand would seem slow to me

There are a lot of assumptions there, but the most unreasonable one is that if you were that size then the universe would behave in a way which would not seem strange to you. The OP asked a question about Lorentz transformations and you have hijacked the thread with a philosophical question which is not really related nor is it homework.

sorry gregg i don't mean to come over so badly I am not a scientist, I am just interested, and was hoping someone on this forum might be able to explain this in laymans terms. as i am ignorant of the maths behind it . now i get the feeling the question is illogical

patricktaylor said:
What is the size of your laptop? I'm guessing it is about 1 foot (or about 0.3 meters). So, "if the universe was the size of my laptop" means the same thing as "if the universe was about 1 foot in size".

Passing your hand over this laptop-sized universe in 1 second still means passing your hand over a length of 1 foot in 1 second. That is considerably slower than the speed of light.

Put another way, your argument seems to have the premise "if the universe was it's present size and also 1 foot in length...", and that is a contradiction.

EDIT:
p.s. And I'm not even considering the issue that you, as well as the air, water, and food you need to survive, are somehow magically outside of the universe.

It's like having 2 dimensions in 1 universe. First dimension is your larger version, and the other dimension is the minimized universe (based on your statement). Based on the extent of my knowledge, the 2 dimension will have 2 different laws. Light on your dimension will still be faster than you, but the light on the other dimension may be slower than the movement of your hand. I think you're getting the idea that your hand will be faster than the "c" is because you made a computation based on the laws governing the 2nd dimension. Time will also be different in those 2 dimensions.

Well, I hope the next statement will help you think about it. I believe that the mass of an object and the resistance of the object while moving affects the speed. I'm also implying that the smaller the mass, the faster an object can move since there will be less resistance.

ryanmichaelrey said:
It's like having 2 dimensions in 1 universe. First dimension is your larger version, and the other dimension is the minimized universe (based on your statement). Based on the extent of my knowledge, the 2 dimension will have 2 different laws.
Since this is not only outside mainstream science, but contradictory to say something is two different sizes, this thread is now closed for discussion.

Related to Another relative speed and size question

1. What is relative speed and size?

Relative speed and size is a concept used to describe the motion and size of objects in relation to each other. It takes into account the velocity and dimensions of different objects and how they interact with each other.

2. How is relative speed and size measured?

Relative speed is typically measured in units of distance divided by time, such as meters per second. Size can be measured in various units, such as meters, feet, or kilometers. The specific units used depend on the objects being measured.

3. How does relative speed and size affect collisions?

When two objects collide, their relative speed and size can determine the severity of the impact. If the objects have a large relative speed and are similar in size, the collision will likely be more forceful. However, if the relative speed is low and the objects have a significant difference in size, the impact may be less severe.

4. Can relative speed and size change?

Yes, relative speed and size can change depending on the motion and interactions of objects. For example, if one object accelerates while the other remains stationary, their relative speeds will change. Similarly, if one object changes in size while the other remains the same, their relative sizes will change.

5. How is relative speed and size used in scientific research?

Relative speed and size are important concepts in many scientific fields, such as physics, astronomy, and biology. They are used to study the motion and interactions of objects, as well as to make predictions and calculations about their behavior. Understanding relative speed and size can also help scientists better understand the laws and principles that govern the physical world.