AP Test vs My Teacher: Resolving a Vector Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about a problem involving direction and magnitude in physics. The answer given was 802.5N @ -333.5 degrees, which is equivalent to 802.5N @ 26.5 degrees. However, the answer was marked incorrect because the directions did not specify the need for a positive angle. The conversation also touches upon the role of instructors and grading in education. The consensus is that the answer should not have been marked incorrect, but it is uncertain if this would be the case on the AP test. The conversation concludes with a discussion about the simplicity of answers and the possible deduction of 1 point on the AP test for not following convention.
lateralus00
I had a question regarding the AP test - anyone who knows please answer.

I answered a section of a problem regarding a Vector (asking for direction and magnitude), and my answer was as follows:
802.5N @ -333.5 degrees

The answer was 802.5N @ 26.5 degrees

Any physics teacher should know that -333.5 = 26.5...
Anyways, I got it wrong, however no where in the directions did it state that I needed to use a positive angle.

Others got it correct for simply putting 802.5N @ 26.5 degrees..nothing more.

His logic for taking the points off was because I didn't say "-333.5 degrees above the horizontal"

Would I have gotten this wrong on the AP test? If not I'm going to have a talk with him, because i suspect he's being a jerk.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

I think it's a good practice to give the angle measurements with respect to the horizontal (x-axis) just because it's arbitrary if you just say "26.5 degrees" without a reference point.

No, they would most likely not take off for that, unless the directions said to specifically keep your angles between 0 and 2*pi.

The answer is correct. I would have given credit for it assuming your description of the situation is accurate.

lateralus00 said:
Would I have gotten this wrong on the AP test? If not I'm going to have a talk with him, because i suspect he's being a jerk.

It really depends on who is grading the AP test.

You should never forget that which side of the bread has butter on it. As a student, be assured that your side does not.

Three general rules for education:

(a) The instructor is always right.

(b) The instructor is the one who determines your grade.

(c) The instructor is always right.

The best class to learn these things in is a Social Science class that covers the theory of government. Find out what happens when you disagree politically with the instructor. The lesson, which is far more important than anything you will learn from the textbook, is that might makes right.

Carl

If marks were deducted for not providing a reference point for the angle, then other students who did not provide a reference should have had marks deducted also. My impression from the OP was that this was not the case.

It shouldn't be acceptable to lose marks due to marker inconsistancy, but as Carl points out, kicking up a stink may be more trouble than its worth.

Claude.

thanks for the advice, though i think you're right

those 2 points aren't worth an entire year of him disliking me!

though i do think this is something i can bring up once i graduate to the science coordinator, because this happens all too often with this instructor

..he's a biology major..teaching AP physics, doesn't make sense to me:confused:

lateralus00 said:
Any physics teacher should know that -333.5 = 26.5...

:confused:

Isn't -333.5 degrees MUCH COLDER than 26.5 degrees ? :smile: :smile:

(you said it was a bio graduate...:wink: )

The AP readers might take 1 point off of this answer for it NOT following convention of greatest simplification of answers. If a reference direction is not given, it is assumed that the +X axis (or the direction EAST, {back off you sea navigators}) is along 0 degress. So yes -333.5 degrees is the same as +26.5 degrees, but it is perhaps "a less simple" answer. Again, I stress perhaps 1 point would be taken off by the AP folks.

Related to AP Test vs My Teacher: Resolving a Vector Problem

1. How does the difficulty level of an AP test compare to a teacher's assessment of a vector problem?

The difficulty level of an AP test is typically higher than a teacher's assessment of a vector problem. AP tests are designed to assess college-level knowledge and skills, while a teacher's assessment may be tailored to the specific class and curriculum.

2. Are the scoring criteria different for an AP test versus a teacher's assessment of a vector problem?

Yes, the scoring criteria for an AP test are often more strict and specific compared to a teacher's assessment of a vector problem. AP tests have specific rubrics and guidelines that are used to determine a student's score, while a teacher may have more flexibility in their grading.

3. How can a student prepare for both an AP test and their teacher's assessment of a vector problem?

To prepare for both an AP test and a teacher's assessment, students should thoroughly review the course material and practice solving a variety of vector problems. They should also familiarize themselves with the specific format and expectations of the AP test and their teacher's assessments.

4. Is it possible to score higher on an AP test compared to a teacher's assessment of a vector problem?

Yes, it is possible for a student to score higher on an AP test compared to their teacher's assessment of a vector problem. This could be due to the different scoring criteria and level of difficulty on the AP test, as well as the student's preparation and understanding of the material.

5. How should a student approach studying for an AP test versus preparing for their teacher's assessment of a vector problem?

When studying for an AP test, students should focus on understanding the broader concepts and theories, as well as practicing problem-solving skills. However, when preparing for a teacher's assessment of a vector problem, students should also pay attention to any specific instructions or expectations given by their teacher. It is important to review both the course material and the format of the assessments in order to be fully prepared for both the AP test and the teacher's assessment.