Application of the Argument Principle NO ROUCHE

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the number of solutions for a fixed number a, in the equation $z^5+2z^3-z^2+z=a$, where $\text{Re} \ z>0$. The solution involves using the argument principle and the curve $\gamma(t)=Re^{it}$, and the integral $\frac{1}{2\pi i}\int_{\gamma}\frac{f'(z)}{f(z)}\ dz$ to determine the number of roots with positive and negative real parts. The solution is then simplified by considering the rotation of the function $f(iy)$ for $y$ going from negative to positive infinity. The final result is that for $a<0$, there
Dustinsfl
For a fixed number a, find the number of solutions $z^5+2z^3-z^2+z=a$ satisfying $\text{Re} \ z>0$.

Not to sure on how to tackle this one.

Physics news on Phys.org
In my personal web there is a similar problem. Although the page is in Spanish, perhaps you can follow the outline looking only to the mathematics.

http://www.fernandorevilla.es/docencia-problemas/iii/22-principio-del-argumento-ceros-en-regiones-no-acotadas

Ask if you have any doubt.

$$
z^5\left(1+\frac{2}{z^2}-\frac{1}{z^3}+\frac{1}{z^4}-\frac{a}{z^5}\right)
$$

After you did this, what did you do for the argument? I don't understand.

dwsmith said:
For a fixed number a, find the number of solutions $z^5+2z^3-z^2+z=a$ satisfying $\text{Re} \ z>0$.

Not to sure on how to tackle this one.

According to the so called The 'argument principle', if f(*) is analytic in D and $\gamma$ is the 'frontier' of D, then the number of zeroes of f(*) in D is given by...

$\displaystyle n= \frac{1}{2\ \pi\ i}\ \int_{\gamma} \frac{f^{'}(z)}{f(z)}\ dz$ (1)

We consider $\displaystyle f(z)=z^{5}+2\ z^{3} -z^{2}+z-a$ and we set p the number of roots of f(*) with positive real part and q the number of roots of f(*) with negative real part. Of course is p+q=5. Now if we apply (1) and choose D as the 'big half circle tending to the left half plane' we obtain...

$\displaystyle q= \frac{1}{2\ \pi} \int_{- \infty}^{+ \infty} \frac{f^{'}(i\ y)}{f(i\ y)}\ dy = \frac{1}{2\ \pi} \int_{- \infty}^{+ \infty} \frac {(5\ y^{4} -6\ y^{2} +1) -2\ i\ y}{(y^{2}-a) +i\ (y^{5}-y^{3}+y)}\ dy$ (2)

The detail of computation of integral (2) are however 'a little complex' and that is 'postposed' to a successive post...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

dwsmith said:
$
z^5\left(1+\frac{2}{z^2}-\frac{1}{z^3}+\frac{1}{z^4}-\frac{a}{z^5}\right)
$ After you did this, what did you do for the argument? I don't understand.

Denote $p(z)=z^5+2z^3-z^2+z-a$. Then, $p(z)=z^5\left(1+\dfrac{2}{z^2}-\dfrac{1}{z^3}+\dfrac{1}{z^4}-\dfrac{a}{z^5}\right)$ if $z\neq 0$.

Using a well known property of the argument,

$\arg p(z)=5\arg z+\arg \left(1+\dfrac{2}{z^2}-\dfrac{1}{z^3}+\dfrac{1}{z^4}-\dfrac{a}{z^5}\right) $

Consider the curve $\gamma (t)=Re^{it}\;\; (t\in [-\pi/2,\pi/2])$. The increment $\Delta \arg z$ of the argument of $z$ in this curve is $\pi$. For $R\to +\infty$ and due to the continuity of the argument, we have

$\Delta_{z\in \gamma}\arg p(z)\to 5\pi +0+0+0+0+0=5\pi$.

chisigma said:
According to the so called The 'argument principle', if f(*) is analytic in D and $\gamma$ is the 'frontier' of D, then the number of zeroes of f(*) in D is given by...

$\displaystyle n= \frac{1}{2\ \pi\ i}\ \int_{\gamma} \frac{f^{'}(z)}{f(z)}\ dz$ (1)

We consider $\displaystyle f(z)=z^{5}+2\ z^{3} -z^{2}+z-a$ and we set p the number of roots of f(*) with positive real part and q the number of roots of f(*) with negative real part. Of course is p+q=5. Now if we apply (1) and choose D as the 'big half circle tending to the left half plane' we obtain...

$\displaystyle q= \frac{1}{2\ \pi} \int_{- \infty}^{+ \infty} \frac{f^{'}(i\ y)}{f(i\ y)}\ dy = \frac{1}{2\ \pi} \int_{- \infty}^{+ \infty} \frac {(5\ y^{4} -6\ y^{2} +1) -2\ i\ y}{(y^{2}-a) +i\ (y^{5}-y^{3}+y)}\ dy$ (2)

The detail of computation of integral (2) are however 'a little complex' and that is 'postposed' to a successive post...

The integral (2) supplies in fact the 'formal solution' of the proposed question... but of course its approach is 'a little unpleasant'... a more simple way to arrive to the goal is considering that the (2) represents the global 'rotation' for y going from minus to plus infinity of the function...

$\displaystyle \frac{1}{2\ \pi\ i}\ \text{arg}\ f(i\ y) = \frac{1}{2\ \pi\ i}\ i\ \tan^{-1} \frac{y^{5}-y^{3}+y}{y^{2}-a}$ (3)

Observing (3) we note that the numerator doesn't depends from a and its contribution is in any case $5\ \pi$... but the denominator depends from a and it doesn't change sign for $a<0$ and change sign two times for $a>0$, so that we conclude that is $q=\frac{5+1}{2}=3 \implies p=2$ for $a<0$ and $q=\frac{5-1}{2}=2 \implies p=3$ for $a>0,\ a \ne 1$. For $a=0$ is $p=q=2$ and for $a=1$ is $p=1,\ q=2$...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Last edited:

Related to Application of the Argument Principle NO ROUCHE

1. How is the Argument Principle used in mathematics?

The Argument Principle is a mathematical theorem that is used to determine the number of zeros of a complex-valued function within a given region. It is based on the concept of the winding number, which measures how many times a function "wraps" around a point in the complex plane.

2. Can the Argument Principle be applied to any type of function?

Yes, the Argument Principle can be applied to any complex-valued function, as long as it is analytic (i.e. differentiable) within the given region. This includes polynomials, rational functions, and other types of transcendental functions.

3. What is the relationship between the Argument Principle and the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra?

The Argument Principle is closely related to the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra, which states that every non-constant polynomial has at least one complex root. The Argument Principle provides a way to count the number of these roots within a given region.

4. How is the Argument Principle used in engineering and physics?

The Argument Principle has various applications in engineering and physics, such as in the design and analysis of control systems, signal processing, and electrical circuits. It is also used in fluid dynamics and quantum mechanics to study the behavior of complex systems.

5. Does the Argument Principle have any limitations or exceptions?

The Argument Principle is a powerful tool in complex analysis, but it does have some limitations. For example, it only applies to functions that are analytic within a given region, and it does not provide information about the location of the zeros, only the number of zeros. Additionally, it may not work for functions with singularities or branch cuts.