Approximation property with F sigma and G delta Sets to show a set is measurable

In summary: Therefore, the set $A$ can be "sandwiched" between the closed set $F$ and the open set $G$. Since $F$ and $G$ have the same measure, $A$ must also have the same measure. Thus, $A$ is measurable.
ryo0071
Prove that a set $A\subset\mathbb{R}^n$ is (Lebesgue) measurable $\iff$ there exist a set $B$ which is an $F_{\sigma}$ and a set $C$ which is a $G_{\delta}$ such that $B\subset A\subset C$ and $C$~$B$ (C without B) is a null set.

$F_{\sigma}$ is a countable union of closed sets, and $G_{\delta}$ is a countable intersection of open sets.

I have proven the forward implication already. For the second one I know that I can pick one of the closed sets that make up $B$, say the closed set $F$ with $F \subset B$, and one of the open sets that make up $C$, say the open set $G$ with $C \subset G$. It then follows that $F \subset A \subset G$. I am having trouble showing that the measure of $G$~$F$ is less than an arbitrary $\epsilon > 0$. I know I need to use the fact that $C$~$B$ is a null set but I am not sure how.

Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
ryo0071 said:
Prove that a set $A\subset\mathbb{R}^n$ is (Lebesgue) measurable $\iff$ there exist a set $B$ which is an $F_{\sigma}$ and a set $C$ which is a $G_{\delta}$ such that $B\subset A\subset C$ and $C$~$B$ (C without B) is a null set.

$F_{\sigma}$ is a countable union of closed sets, and $G_{\delta}$ is a countable intersection of open sets.

I have proven the forward implication already. For the second one I know that I can pick one of the closed sets that make up $B$, say the closed set $F$ with $F \subset B$, and one of the open sets that make up $C$, say the open set $G$ with $C \subset G$. It then follows that $F \subset A \subset G$. I am having trouble showing that the measure of $G$~$F$ is less than an arbitrary $\epsilon > 0$. I know I need to use the fact that $C$~$B$ is a null set but I am not sure how.

Any help is appreciated.
First, \(\displaystyle A = \bigcup_{k\geqslant1}\bigl(A\cap[-k,k]^n\bigr).\) A countable union of measurable sets is measurable, so it will be sufficient to show that $A\cap[-k,k]^n$ is measurable. So we might as well assume that $A$ is bounded. (That will eliminate any problems that might arise from sets with infinite measure.)

Next, $B$ is a countable union of closed sets, say $B = \bigcup F_r$, and is therefore measurable. Replacing each $F_r$ by $\bigcup_{1\leqslant j\leqslant r}F_j$, we may assume that the sets $F_r$ form an increasing sequence. Then the measure $m(B)$ of $B$ is the sup of the measures $m(F_r).$ So we can find a closed set $F\subset B$ with $m(F) > m(B) - \varepsilon/2.$ By the same argument we can find an open set $G\supset C$ with $m(G)<m(C) + \varepsilon/2$. But $C$ is the union of $B$ and a null set, so $m(C) = m(B).$ It follows that $m(G) - m(F) < \varepsilon.$

Last edited:

Related to Approximation property with F sigma and G delta Sets to show a set is measurable

1. What is the definition of "measurable" in relation to F sigma and G delta sets?

The term "measurable" refers to a set that can be assigned a measure, or a numerical value that represents its size or extent. In the context of F sigma and G delta sets, a set is measurable if it can be approximated by a countable union of closed (F sigma) sets or a countable intersection of open (G delta) sets.

2. How do F sigma and G delta sets relate to the approximation property?

The approximation property states that any set can be approximated by a sequence of sets with a certain property. In the case of F sigma and G delta sets, this property refers to the countable union or intersection of closed or open sets respectively. Therefore, F sigma and G delta sets are useful for showing that a set is measurable because they allow us to approximate the set with a countable number of simpler sets.

3. Can a set be both F sigma and G delta?

Yes, a set can be both F sigma and G delta. This type of set is known as an F delta set, and it can be approximated by a countable union of closed sets and a countable intersection of open sets simultaneously.

4. What is the significance of using countable unions and intersections in the definition of F sigma and G delta sets?

The use of countable unions and intersections in the definition of F sigma and G delta sets is important because it allows us to approximate a set with a countable number of simpler sets. This is crucial for showing that a set is measurable, as it allows us to break down the set into smaller, more manageable parts.

5. Are F sigma and G delta sets the only way to show that a set is measurable?

No, F sigma and G delta sets are not the only way to show that a set is measurable. Other methods include using outer measures, which extend the concept of measure to non-measurable sets, and the Carathéodory criterion, which states that a set is measurable if and only if its outer measure is equal to its inner measure.