Are work and moment the same thing? They both have the same units

In summary, Moment is measured in Newtons-meters and work is also measured in Newtons-meters. Although they have the same units, work and torque are not the same thing. Work is calculated by multiplying force and distance, while torque is calculated by taking the cross product of force and distance. Therefore, they cannot be equated and have different effects on objects.
Femme_physics
Gold Member
Moment is Newtons per meter, and work is Newtons per meter. I'm confused as to how to relate them. Are they essentially the same thing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Femme_physics said:
Moment is Newtons per meter, and work is Newtons per meter. I'm confused as to how to relate them. Are they essentially the same thing?

Correction : Moment is Newtons-meters, and work is Newtons-meters.

No they're not the same. For work the force has to be in the same direction (vector dot product) as relevant distance (that is the distance traveled), whereas for torque the force has to be perpendicular (vector cross product) to the relevant distance (which is the lever length).

Ah I see, thanks uart :)

I just thought of something.

If I push on something with 400 NEwtons, and it doesn't move - does work = 0? Or 400 N/m?

Because if I apply a moment on something and it doesn't rotate, I know that the moment is still worth its amount regardless of whether there was or wasn't rotational movement.

Work is force x distance. So there is no work done if the object doesn't move.

N/m is a unit of pressure. Work units is Nm.

Ah, sorry for repeatedly confusing the units...and thanks for clarifying my suspicion, jarednjames.

jarednjames said:
N/m is a unit of pressure. .

Huh? Not N/m^2?

Oldfart said:
Huh? Not N/m^2?

Bugger, good catch!

Dimensionally, torque (moment) has the same units as energy. However, that alone does not give you permission to add these totally different quantities.

Related to Are work and moment the same thing? They both have the same units

1. Are work and moment considered the same thing in physics?

No, work and moment are not considered the same thing in physics. They are two distinct concepts with different definitions and applications.

2. Why do work and moment have the same units?

Work and moment have the same units because they both involve a force applied over a distance. In the SI system, both work and moment are measured in joules (J).

3. Can work and moment be used interchangeably in calculations?

No, work and moment cannot be used interchangeably in calculations. They have different formulas and represent different physical quantities.

4. How are work and moment related?

Work and moment are related in that they both involve force and distance. Work is the product of force and distance, while moment is the product of force and perpendicular distance from a pivot point.

5. Is work the same thing as torque?

No, work is not the same thing as torque. Torque is a measure of rotational force, while work is a measure of the energy transferred to an object by a force.