Atomic number density and mass density

In summary, the conversation revolves around a problem with calculating the mixed number densities of UO2 fuel using a lattice code. The solution involves dividing the number density of oxygen by 2 and then multiplying by the atom fraction for each uranium isotope. The initial confusion was due to forgetting to account for thermal expansion of the fuel.
ulriksvensson
Hello everyone. I have a problem I can't figure out.

Let's say that we start off with UO2 fuel. Knowing the density (and enrichment) we can calculate the number densities of the constituents (i.e. U-238, U-235, U-234, O-16). Suppose now that the fuel is burned to a certain exposure. A lattice code (for instance CASMO) can calculate the mixed number densities (MND). Suppose that I wanted to check this calculation backwards - given that I know the number of oxygen atoms doesn't change it should be possible. I just can't figure out how to do it.

Does anyone know how to do it? It really would help me alot!

//Ulrik

Engineering news on Phys.org
Just divide the number density of oxygen by 2! :)

(and then multiply by the atom fraction for each uranium isotope)

Yes I solved it the other way around:
\rho = 1/N_{a}*sum_{k=1}^{p} M_{k}*N_{k}
(Latex code)
The reason I was confues was that I forgot to compensate for thermal expansion of the fuel.

Related to Atomic number density and mass density

What is atomic number density?

Atomic number density is the number of atoms per unit volume of a substance. It is typically measured in units of atoms per cubic centimeter (atoms/cm3).

What is mass density?

Mass density is the amount of mass per unit volume of a substance. It is typically measured in units of grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm3).

How are atomic number density and mass density related?

Atomic number density and mass density are related through the atomic mass of the substance. Atomic mass is the average mass of one atom of an element, and it is used to convert between atomic number density and mass density.

What factors affect the atomic number density and mass density of a substance?

The atomic number and mass of the atoms in the substance are the main factors that affect both atomic number density and mass density. Other factors include temperature, pressure, and the phase of the substance (solid, liquid, or gas).

Why are atomic number density and mass density important in scientific research?

Atomic number density and mass density are important because they provide information about the composition and properties of a substance. They can also be used to calculate other important parameters, such as molar volume and molar mass, which are useful in various scientific calculations and experiments.