Book preparing me for Goldstein

In summary, the speaker is a 16-year-old who loves physics and is about to graduate school. They decided to skip ahead in their education, starting with precalculus and 'How to Prove it' to prepare for calculus. They have just finished Apostol's calculus vol 1 and are now looking for recommendations on how to tackle Goldstein's classical mechanics. They have heard that Taylor or Kleppner might be a good starting point, and they are also interested in the Feynman lectures. The speaker is currently at a freshman level in physics, but they feel confident in their ability to handle challenging material. They also ask about when they should begin learning multivariable calculus, such as Apostol vol 2.
Niceadam
im 16,love physics, who is about to graduate school, before that i decided that school was too slow for me, so i decided to skip right to the good stuff...
did precalculus and 'How to Prove it' to start me on calculus.
i just finished Apostol's calculus vol 1 to prepare me for handling the mathematics to come in physics. i wanted to tackle Goldstein's classical mechanics but i heard its tough to handle without any background. i read that Taylor or Kleppner might be good to get me started as well as the Feynman lectures, what's your opinion?
my physics is at the level of freshman, but i can handle tough stuff..
and at what point do i need start learning multivariable, like say apostol vol 2?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Niceadam said:
im 16,love physics, who is about to graduate school, before that i decided that school was too slow for me, so i decided to skip right to the good stuff...
did precalculus and 'How to Prove it' to start me on calculus.
i just finished Apostol's calculus vol 1 to prepare me for handling the mathematics to come in physics. i wanted to tackle Goldstein's classical mechanics but i heard its tough to handle without any background. i read that Taylor or Kleppner might be good to get me started as well as the Feynman lectures, what's your opinion?
my physics is at the level of freshman, but i can handle tough stuff..
and at what point do i need start learning multivariable, like say apostol vol 2?

I recommend doing Kleppner right now. If you know Apostol v1, then you definitely know enough math to do Kleppner. After Kleppner, you should do Taylor.
As for Apostol v2, this covers multivariable calculus. That is obviously important, so I wouldn't postpone it for long. But it's not necessary to know in order to do Kleppner.

A word of warning which might or might not bother you (it bothered me): the calculus as done in Kleppner is somewhat different from Apostol. Kleppner fully uses the language of infinitesimals, which never really appear in Apostol. This might be confusing. If you wish to see calculus as framed in the language of infinitesimals, see Keisler's free book: https://www.math.wisc.edu/~keisler/calc.html

The Feynman lectures are pretty great, but don't use them as main resource. They're useful as a secondary resource only. I recommend studying a chapter in Kleppner and then reading what Feynman has to see about it as a second opinion. You will probably want to revisit the same chapters in Feynman over and over again in your career...

Thanks, and how about Goldstein? should i do it after taylor? or does taylor cover as much goldstein?

Niceadam said:
how about Goldstein?
Goldstein is a graduate-school (post-bachelors) level text, except maybe at schools like MIT or Caltech.

Related to Book preparing me for Goldstein

1. What is the purpose of "Book preparing me for Goldstein"?

The purpose of "Book preparing me for Goldstein" is to provide readers with the necessary background knowledge and skills to understand and apply the concepts presented in the book "Goldstein: Classical Mechanics". It serves as a preparatory guide for readers who are interested in delving into the subject matter of classical mechanics.

2. Is "Book preparing me for Goldstein" suitable for beginners?

Yes, "Book preparing me for Goldstein" is suitable for beginners. It covers the fundamentals of classical mechanics in a clear and concise manner, making it easy for readers with little to no prior knowledge of the subject to understand.

3. What topics are covered in "Book preparing me for Goldstein"?

"Book preparing me for Goldstein" covers a wide range of topics including Newtonian mechanics, Lagrangian dynamics, Hamiltonian dynamics, and the mechanics of rigid bodies. It also includes discussions on topics such as central forces, non-inertial frames, and special relativity.

4. Are there any exercises or practice problems included in "Book preparing me for Goldstein"?

Yes, "Book preparing me for Goldstein" includes numerous exercises and practice problems throughout the book, as well as a section of comprehensive review problems at the end of each chapter. These exercises are designed to help readers reinforce their understanding of the concepts presented and apply them to various scenarios.

5. Can "Book preparing me for Goldstein" be used as a standalone textbook for a course on classical mechanics?

While "Book preparing me for Goldstein" covers many important topics in classical mechanics, it is not meant to be a standalone textbook for a course. It is best used as a supplement to a more comprehensive textbook or as a self-study guide for readers who are interested in learning the fundamentals of classical mechanics.