Book Recommendations: Novice-Friendly Special & General Relativity

In summary, for novices interested in learning about special and general relativity, the recommended resources include University Physics with Modern Physics Volume 3 by Young & Freedman, Russell's ABC of Relativity, and A First Course in General Relativity. These books assume a certain level of mathematical background, so it is important to have a strong understanding of math before diving into them. Additionally, A Most Incomprehensible Thing and Einstein's Theory are also recommended resources for a gentle and rigorous introduction to the mathematics of relativity.
NewToThis
Hi, can anyone recommend any good books about special and general relativity for novices?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Popsci books? Or actual textbooks?
If you mean actual textbooks, then what is your knowledge of math and physics?

For Special Relativity:
Get a copy of University Physics with Modern Physics Volume 3 by Young & Freedman, and read the chapter on Special Relativity. Make sure you do the problems; they are there for a reason.

Volume 3 of Young & Freedman is simply fantastic for introductory modern physics.

I'll assume you have the proper mathematical pre-requisites. A first book to get a feel for what relativity is all about would be Russell's ABC of Relativity. I liked it in high school when I didn't have a very strong mathematical background past multivariable calculus.
I then learned special relativity through the first chapter of 'A first course in general relativity'. I don't really know any other exposition of SR except 'Physics through symmetry', which in my opinion isn't exactly enough. As for general relativity, I haven't learned it yet, so I won't comment on it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Book Recommendations: Novice-Friendly Special & General Relativity

What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein in 1905 that explains the relationship between space and time. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, and that the speed of light is constant regardless of the observer's frame of reference.

What is general relativity?

General relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein in 1915 that describes the force of gravity as a curvature in the fabric of space-time. It explains the motion of objects in the presence of massive bodies and has been confirmed by numerous experiments and observations.

Why is it important to understand general relativity?

General relativity is important because it provides a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws of physics and how gravity works. It has also been crucial in the development of modern technologies such as GPS and has been used to make accurate predictions about the behavior of the universe.

Is "Book Recommendations: Novice-Friendly Special & General Relativity" suitable for beginners?

Yes, the book is specifically designed for novice readers and provides a clear and concise explanation of both special and general relativity. It also includes numerous examples and illustrations to help readers understand the concepts.

What are some other resources for learning about special and general relativity?

In addition to "Book Recommendations: Novice-Friendly Special & General Relativity", there are many other books, articles, and online resources available for learning about these theories. Some popular options include "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking and "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene.