Boundary conditions for TM and TE waves

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the Fresnel formulae for reflection and refraction of a monochromatic electromagnetic wave. The equations involve the incident angle Theta, the refraction angle Phi, and the phase velocity of light in different mediums. The equations are derived from Maxwell's equations and require continuity of both electric and magnetic fields at the interface between the two mediums. The conversation also touches on the confusion regarding the use of a minus sign and the presence of a cosine function in the equations.
LCSphysicist
TL;DR Summary
I am reading about transverse polarization of magnetic and electric field, but i can not understand the boundary conditions it was imposed by the author
1607173824833.png

Theta in the incident angle
Phi is the refraction angle
'' denotes everything that propagates to the other medium, that is, everything related to refraction
' denotes the reflection in the original medium

I am rather confused, would appreciate any help.
I see the second equation of TE is basically the same as the third equation of it.
Too, i see that the first equation of TM is equal to the second equation of it.

Physics news on Phys.org
If this is the standard derivation of the Fresnel formulae for reflection and refraction of a monochromatic em. wave then indeed you only need to deal with the magnetic field, because the magnetic field is given by the electric through ##\vec{B}=\frac{1}{c_j} \vec{n} \times \vec{E}##, where ##c_j## (##j \in \{1,2\}##) is the phase velocity of light ##c_j=c/n_j## in medium ##j## and ##\vec{n}## the direction of the wave vector of the corresponding plane waves describing the incoming, reflected, and refracted wave respectively.

Likes LCSphysicist
vanhees71 said:
If this is the standard derivation of the Fresnel formulae for reflection and refraction of a monochromatic em. wave then indeed you only need to deal with the magnetic field, because the magnetic field is given by the electric through ##\vec{B}=\frac{1}{c_j} \vec{n} \times \vec{E}##, where ##c_j## (##j \in \{1,2\}##) is the phase velocity of light ##c_j=c/n_j## in medium ##j## and ##\vec{n}## the direction of the wave vector of the corresponding plane waves describing the incoming, reflected, and refracted wave respectively.
Hello. Thx for the reply. I understand your point, what i don't understand is how to get this equations. That is, what is the math behind it?

If it was give to me, i would probably say that E and H need to be continuous in the separation(1) with the derivative being continuous too(2).

(1) for E agree with the image, but what about B? Why the minus sign there? (H-H' = H'')
(2)It would lead us, for example for TE, (-Ek + E'k' = E''k''), but in the image there is a cos with this equation, why?

The math behind it are of course Maxwell's equations for all fields having time dependence ##\exp(-\mathrm{i} \omega t)##. You find the derivation in any good textbook on electrodynamics and/or optics.

Related to Boundary conditions for TM and TE waves

1. What are TM and TE waves?

TM and TE waves are types of electromagnetic waves that propagate through space. TM stands for transverse magnetic, meaning the electric field is perpendicular to the direction of propagation, while TE stands for transverse electric, meaning the magnetic field is perpendicular to the direction of propagation.

2. What are boundary conditions for TM and TE waves?

Boundary conditions for TM and TE waves are rules that describe how the electric and magnetic fields behave at the interface between two different media. These conditions determine how the waves are reflected, transmitted, and refracted at the boundary.

3. How are boundary conditions different for TM and TE waves?

The main difference between boundary conditions for TM and TE waves is the orientation of the electric and magnetic fields. For TM waves, the electric field must be continuous across the boundary, while the magnetic field experiences a discontinuity. For TE waves, the opposite is true.

4. What is the importance of boundary conditions for TM and TE waves?

Boundary conditions for TM and TE waves are crucial for understanding and predicting how these waves will behave in different situations. They allow us to determine the reflection and transmission coefficients, as well as the direction of propagation and polarization of the waves.

5. How are boundary conditions used in practical applications?

Boundary conditions for TM and TE waves are used in a wide range of practical applications, such as designing and optimizing antennas, waveguides, and optical fibers. They also play a crucial role in the study of electromagnetic wave propagation in different media, including in the field of optics and photonics.