BRST quantization of string question

In summary, the conversation discusses the BRST invariance of the bosonic string action, specifically equations 4.3.1a-c. It is noted that the ghost field equations of motion must be used, which may seem unusual. However, it is allowed and the process of deriving the BRST current from Noether's theorem is not entirely arbitrary. It is suggested to check BRST invariance of the "other" action first and then use the equation of motion of the ghost in the free bosonic part of the action. This can be seen as a delta function enforcing the ghost equation of motion.
simic4
Hi,

I am confused about the following, I was hoping someone could help:

The context: Polchinski Ch. 4.2, specifically equations 4.3.1a-c

I am verifying the BRST invariance of the bosonic string action (after one has integrated out B, and the weyl ghost),, I notice that one must use the ghost field equations of motion! d_bar c = 0 = d_bar b = 0.

i am not accustomed to being able to use equations of motion inside actions! why is this allowed..? Furthermore,, doesn't this make the whole process of deriving the brst current (eq 4.3.3) from Noether's theorem rather arbitrary?

This problem cannot be totally removed by checking BRST invariance from the "other" action (the action in 4.2.3,, the one before one integrates out B) because for the bosonic part to be invariant, one must assume c holomorphic,, ie d_bar c = 0.

perhaps i am missing a rather subtle point..

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ah indeed,, I think I have it ( all these statements are in conformal gauge):

First off, one should check BRST invariance of the "other" action (the action in 4.2.3,, the one before one integrates out B), this is obviously the more correct way to go: then the only place one must use the equation of motion of c, the ghost, is in the free bosonic part of the action (S_1 in polchinski 4.2.3). However, this is perfectly fine, because one notices that the ghost part, consisting of B, c, and b, is in fact nothing but a delta function (in disguise) enforcing the c equation of motion! this can be seen by integrating out B, then b.. what is left, although perhaps in an uncommon representation,, is a delta function of d_bar c.

Last edited:

Hello,

I understand your confusion regarding the use of ghost field equations of motion inside actions. This is allowed in the context of BRST quantization because the ghost fields are auxiliary fields that do not have physical degrees of freedom. Therefore, they can be treated as mathematical tools to simplify the calculations and obtain the correct quantum theory.

Regarding the arbitrariness of deriving the BRST current from Noether's theorem, it is important to note that Noether's theorem is a powerful tool for deriving conserved quantities from symmetries of the action. However, in the case of BRST symmetry, the symmetry is not a physical symmetry but rather a mathematical one. This is why the process of deriving the BRST current can seem arbitrary, but it is necessary to ensure the correct quantization of the theory.

As for the issue with the holomorphicity of the ghost field c in the "other" action, this is a technical requirement that ensures the invariance of the bosonic part of the action. It may seem arbitrary, but it is a necessary condition for the consistency of the theory.

I hope this helps clarify some of your concerns. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Related to BRST quantization of string question

1. What is BRST quantization of string theory?

BRST quantization is a mathematical technique used to quantize fields in string theory. It involves introducing a set of new ghost fields and imposing a set of constraints known as the BRST constraints. This technique is used to treat strings as quantum objects and has been successful in addressing some of the issues with traditional string theory.

2. Why is BRST quantization important in string theory?

BRST quantization is important in string theory because it allows for the consistent quantization of fields and eliminates the issues with negative probability states that arise in traditional string theory. It also allows for the incorporation of gauge symmetries, which are essential for a complete understanding of the theory.

3. What is the role of ghost fields in BRST quantization?

Ghost fields are introduced in BRST quantization to cancel out the negative probability states that arise in traditional string theory. These fields have opposite statistics compared to the original fields and are necessary for the consistent quantization of the theory.

4. How does BRST quantization solve the issue of negative probability states in string theory?

BRST quantization solves the issue of negative probability states by introducing ghost fields that have opposite statistics compared to the original fields. These ghost fields cancel out the negative contributions and result in a consistent quantization of the theory.

5. Are there any limitations to BRST quantization in string theory?

BRST quantization has been successful in addressing some of the issues with traditional string theory, but it also has its limitations. It is a complex mathematical technique that is not always applicable in all situations, and there are ongoing debates about the validity of this approach in certain scenarios.