Building a Betatron: Choosing the Right Tube & Acceleration Questions

• Thread starter betameta
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Building
In summary, the conversation is discussing the construction of a betatron using an electron gun from a television. The question of which material would be best for the electron gun's tube is raised, as well as whether the electrons need to be further accelerated or just guided with coils. The potential dangers of working with high voltage and high vacuum are also mentioned, with questions about precautions being taken and at what point X-rays become a hazard. The conversation ends with a question about whether the initial energies from the electron gun would be enough to produce harmful X-rays if the particles were only turned in a circle without further acceleration.
betameta
I'm trying to build a betatron with the electron gun from a television.

What do you think would be the best material for the tube of the electron gun?

Also, do the electrons need to be accelerated further after being emitted from the electron gun, or do I just need to guide it with coils if the distance they need to travel isn't very large?

Engineering news on Phys.org
betameta said:
I'm trying to build a betatron with the electron gun from a television.

What do you think would be the best material for the tube of the electron gun?

Also, do the electrons need to be accelerated further after being emitted from the electron gun, or do I just need to guide it with coils if the distance they need to travel isn't very large?

Whether you accelerate them more depends on what energy you are trying to acheive.

How are you pulling your vacuum? Have you worked with high vacuum and high voltage before? In what projects? You realize that you are working with pretty dangerous stuff, right? What precautions are you taking in your setup? Do you know what energies will start to involve an X-ray hazard? What kind of lab do you have, or are you doing this in your apartment/dorm?

berkeman said:
Whether you accelerate them more depends on what energy you are trying to acheive.

How are you pulling your vacuum? Have you worked with high vacuum and high voltage before? In what projects? You realize that you are working with pretty dangerous stuff, right? What precautions are you taking in your setup? Do you know what energies will start to involve an X-ray hazard? What kind of lab do you have, or are you doing this in your apartment/dorm?

I know it's dangerous, but I'm not sure at what point the X-rays are a hazard. Would a dose rate up to 0.5 Gy/min be dangerous?

If I didn't accelerate the particles any further, but only turned them so they move in a circle, would the initial energies from the electron gun be enough to produce harmful X-rays?

Last edited:

Related to Building a Betatron: Choosing the Right Tube & Acceleration Questions

1. What is a betatron and what is its purpose?

A betatron is a type of particle accelerator that uses a circular magnetic field to accelerate charged particles, typically electrons, to high speeds. Its purpose is to create high-energy particles for use in scientific research and medical applications.

2. What factors should be considered when choosing a betatron tube?

When choosing a betatron tube, factors such as the desired energy output, beam intensity, and radiation shielding must be taken into account. Other important considerations include the type and strength of the magnetic field, as well as the materials used in the construction of the tube.

3. How is acceleration achieved in a betatron?

Acceleration in a betatron is achieved by inducing a magnetic field in a circular path and using an alternating electric field to push the electrons around the loop. This causes the particles to gain energy with each revolution until they reach the desired speed.

4. Can a betatron be used for medical treatments?

Yes, betatrons have been used in medical settings for cancer therapy. The high-energy particles produced by the betatron can be directed at cancerous cells, damaging their DNA and preventing them from growing and dividing.

5. What are the potential risks associated with building and operating a betatron?

The main risks associated with building and operating a betatron include exposure to radiation, electrical hazards, and the possibility of equipment malfunction. Proper safety precautions must be taken to minimize these risks, including proper shielding and regular maintenance of the equipment.