Calculate Linear Velocity: Aircraft Direction Vector

In summary, the aircraft traveled west at a speed of 100km/hr for 25 minutes, then north at a speed of 25m/s for 1000 seconds, and finally east at a speed of 75 km/hr for 10 minutes. Using this information, we can determine that the displacement of the aircraft from the starting point is 11.2km away and the angle that the aircraft must turn to return on a direct path is 90 - θ.
Prashant91
1.A aircraft leaves base and travels west at a speed of 100km/hr for 25 minutes, then turns right and travels north at a speed of 25m/s for 1000 seconds, then turns right and travels east at a speed of 75 km/hr for 10 minutes.

The plane is asked to return to base. Determine the direction that the aircraft must take to return on a direct path and describe this as a position vector.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to show an attempt before anyone can help you.

AlephNumbers said:
You have to show an attempt before anyone can help you.

I have converted all the answers to m/s i.e. 100km/hr /3.6 constant = 27.8m/s 25m/s 75km/hr /3.6 constant = 20.8m/s

then converted the time to seconds 25 min = 1500s 1000s 10min=600s

distance = speed *time = 27.8ms*1500=41.7km 25*1000=25km 20.8ms*600secs=12.48 km

then drawing diagram from base position resulted in 41.7km west, 25km north, 12.48km east.

I know i am suppose to use trigonometry but the diagram does not look like a triangle. Please help

You need to find the displacement of the aircraft from the starting point. Are you familiar with unit vectors?

Actually, forget the unit vectors, the cardinal directions work fine. If you travel 10 km west and then 5 km east, how far are you from where you started?

AlephNumbers said:
Actually, forget the unit vectors, the cardinal directions work fine. If you travel 10 km west and then 5 km east, how far are you from where you started?
11.2km away using the pythagorean theroem. I understand i would be able to draw a clear triangle diagram and then find the angle and the distance.

would i connect the lines between west 41.7 km and east 12.48km to the base position therefore drawing a triangle ?

No, you would be 5 km away from where you started. Here, look at this diagram.
Snapshot.jpg
The dotted lines represent the displacement vectors north and west. I do not know if this diagram matches your problem exactly, but it should be something similar.

The arrow on the displacement vector to the west should be going the other way, actually.

AlephNumbers said:
The arrow on the displacement vector to the west should be going the other way, actually.

Okay i think i understand from your diagram. this is because the resultant vector is from the start point to the end point, then you have drawn a triangle. Would my calculations be right in assuming the length of each side. then using pythagorean theorem and tan^-1 to find the angle.

Attachments

• vector.jpg
    vector.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 385
Yes! The actual angle that the aircraft has to turn through would be 90 - θ, though.

Related to Calculate Linear Velocity: Aircraft Direction Vector

1. What is linear velocity?

Linear velocity refers to the rate of change of an object's position along a straight line. It is a vector quantity and is typically measured in meters per second (m/s).

2. How is linear velocity calculated?

Linear velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in an object's position (displacement) by the change in time. This can be represented by the equation v = Δx/Δt, where v is velocity, Δx is displacement, and Δt is time.

3. What is an aircraft direction vector?

An aircraft direction vector is a vector that represents the direction an aircraft is traveling in. It is usually represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of the aircraft's motion and its length is proportional to the aircraft's speed.

4. How is linear velocity related to an aircraft direction vector?

Linear velocity is directly related to an aircraft direction vector. The magnitude of the aircraft direction vector represents the speed of the aircraft, while the direction of the vector represents the direction of the aircraft's motion. Therefore, by calculating the linear velocity, we can determine the magnitude and direction of the aircraft's motion.

5. Why is it important to calculate linear velocity and aircraft direction vector?

Calculating linear velocity and aircraft direction vector is important for understanding the motion of an aircraft. It can help determine the speed and direction of the aircraft, which is crucial for navigation and flight control. It also allows for the prediction and analysis of the aircraft's movements, which is important for safety and efficiency in flight.