Calculating Air Flow Rate for Floating Ball in Vertical Pipe

In summary, BenB8691 is seeking help with calculating the air flow rates and maximum height achieved by a racquetball suspended inside a 4" pipe with an inside diameter of 2.25". They are unsure of the equation needed to determine the required air flow rate and the maximum height achieved with varying air flow rates. Some suggestions have been given, including measuring the surface area and weight of the ball to determine the required air pressure and considering the drag force on the ball as it moves through the pipe. Further experimentation and calculations will be needed to determine the exact requirements.
BenB8691
Hi all,

I am working on a prototype and I have a question that I am not sure how to answer, thus the reason I am here.

I have a piece of 4" pipe that I will vertically mount and I am reducing down to 1". Inside the tubing I have a racquetball. I am going to be sending air through the pipe and I want to know how to calculate at what flow rates the ball will float on the air and how high the ball will go.

I know the inside diameter of the pipe is 4" and the ball is 2.25". I am guessing I will need the weight of the ball, but I don't know of an equation that will tell me the following: 1.) How much air is required to lift the ball inside of the pipe? and 2.) How high the ball with varying amounts of air passing through the tube?

Can anyone help me with this? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
BenB8691

Physics news on Phys.org
BenB8691 said:
I know the inside diameter of the pipe is 4" and the ball is 2.25". I am guessing I will need the weight of the ball, but I don't know of an equation that will tell me the following: 1.) How much air is required to lift the ball inside of the pipe? and 2.) How high the ball with varying amounts of air passing through the tube?

If the vertical tube is uniform then if the racket ball lifts at all it will go all the way to the top and stick in the outlet hole.

How fast the air needs to be moving to make this happen seems to me to be a matter for experiment. Turn it on and see.

You can get a rough estimate of the air velocity be saying that the drag force on the sphere (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_coefficient) equals its weight.

But since the ball is blocking about 30% of the area of the pipe, that will change the air flow pattern around the ball and the assumptions in the drag calculation won't very accurate.

As jbriggs said, if the pipe has a uniform diameter you won't be able to get the ball in a stable position part way along the pipe, unless you do something like make small holes along the length of the pipe to leak some of the air out, so the air velocity at the top is smaller than at the bottom.

air pressure is measured in psi, (pounds per square inches) Measure the surface area of the ball, divide it by 2. Now measure the weight of the ball in pounds. Pounds divided by the surface area equals the force needed to keep the ball in place. Let's say half the surface area is 10 square inches, and it weighs 2 pounds. You would need 0.2psi

adimantium said:
air pressure is measured in psi, (pounds per square inches) Measure the surface area of the ball, divide it by 2. Now measure the weight of the ball in pounds. Pounds divided by the surface area equals the force needed to keep the ball in place. Let's say half the surface area is 10 square inches, and it weighs 2 pounds. You would need 0.2psi

That is a reasonable estimate for how much pressure loss you need between the bottom of the ball and the top of the ball in the rising air stream. How much velocity you need to attain this pressure loss across the ball is less clear. AlephZero's suggestion applies. The need to maintain that velocity through the vertical pipe and get an appropriate flow rate out to the ambient atmosphere through the exhaust nozzle on top will dictate the inlet pressure and flow rate required at the bottom.

Related to Calculating Air Flow Rate for Floating Ball in Vertical Pipe

1. How does a ball float on an air stream?

When a ball is placed in an air stream, the air molecules flow around and under it. The air moving under the ball creates an area of low pressure, while the air moving over the ball creates an area of high pressure. This pressure difference creates a force called lift, which counteracts the force of gravity and allows the ball to float.

2. What factors affect the ability of a ball to float on an air stream?

The size and shape of the ball, the speed and direction of the air stream, and the density of the air are all factors that can affect the ability of a ball to float on an air stream. Other factors such as surface texture and temperature can also play a role.

3. Can any type of ball float on an air stream?

Generally, any object that is light enough and has a smooth, round surface can float on an air stream. However, the size and shape of the ball, as well as the speed and direction of the air stream, will determine how stable the floating will be.

4. How is the phenomenon of ball floating on air stream used in real life?

The principle of ball floating on air stream is used in various industries such as transportation (air hockey tables, hovercrafts), sports (soccer, basketball), and science experiments (demonstrating Bernoulli's principle). It is also used in wind tunnels to test the aerodynamics of different objects.

5. Can a ball float on any type of air stream?

A ball can float on any type of air stream as long as the air is moving at a sufficient speed and direction. However, the stability and duration of the floating may vary depending on the strength and consistency of the air stream.