Calculating Flow of Helium in a Verticle Pipe

In summary: In order to maintain a constant gradient of gases, the flow of helium needs to be high enough to overcome the diffusion of air into the pipe. To calculate the necessary flow rate, you will need to use the values of D, the diffusion coefficient, and the length of the pipe. This calculation can be done using Fick's law. In summary, you can determine the necessary flow rate of helium to maintain a constant gradient of gases in a vertical pipe using Fick's law and the diffusion coefficient.
Q_Goest
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I have a long, 24" diameter verticle pipe. There is a flow of gas through this pipe in which pure helium enters at the top and exits at the bottom where it exits to atmosphere. In this case, there must be a gradient of gasses with helium at the top and air at the bottom and a mixture between the two due to diffusion.

My question is, what flow of helium is needed to keep this gradient constant? In other words, I want to maintain pure helium at some upper point in the pipe - so how can I determine the flow of helium needed to keep the air out?

I know it has to do with Fick's law but I've never had to do a calculation like this one. Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Q_Goest said:
I have a long, 24" diameter verticle pipe. There is a flow of gas through this pipe in which pure helium enters at the top and exits at the bottom where it exits to atmosphere. In this case, there must be a gradient of gasses with helium at the top and air at the bottom and a mixture between the two due to diffusion.

My question is, what flow of helium is needed to keep this gradient constant? In other words, I want to maintain pure helium at some upper point in the pipe - so how can I determine the flow of helium needed to keep the air out?

I know it has to do with Fick's law but I've never had to do a calculation like this one. Any thoughts?
The equation you are dealing with is $$V\frac{dC}{dx}=D\frac{d^2C}{dx^2}$$ where C is the concentration of the air, and v is the flow velocity of the helium.

Related to Calculating Flow of Helium in a Verticle Pipe

1. How is the flow of helium in a vertical pipe calculated?

The flow of helium in a vertical pipe can be calculated using the Bernoulli's equation, which takes into account the pressure, velocity, and height of the fluid. By solving this equation, the flow rate of helium can be determined.

2. What factors affect the flow of helium in a vertical pipe?

The flow of helium in a vertical pipe is affected by various factors such as the pipe diameter, length, and roughness, as well as the temperature and pressure of the helium. Additionally, the fluid properties of helium, such as its viscosity and density, also play a role in determining the flow rate.

3. How does the flow of helium change with different pipe sizes?

The flow of helium in a vertical pipe is directly proportional to the pipe diameter. This means that as the pipe diameter increases, the flow rate of helium also increases. However, the relationship between pipe size and flow rate is not linear, and other factors such as friction and turbulence must also be considered.

4. Can the flow of helium in a vertical pipe be controlled?

Yes, the flow of helium in a vertical pipe can be controlled by adjusting the flow rate through the pipe, as well as by using valves and other flow control devices. Additionally, the properties of the pipe, such as its material and surface roughness, can also be manipulated to affect the flow of helium.

5. Are there any limitations to calculating the flow of helium in a vertical pipe?

While the Bernoulli's equation is a useful tool for calculating the flow of helium in a vertical pipe, it does have certain limitations. For example, it assumes that the fluid is incompressible and that there is no energy lost due to friction. In reality, these assumptions may not hold true, and more complex equations and models may be necessary to accurately calculate the flow of helium in a vertical pipe.