Calculating Movement Along a Curve

In summary, the author is looking for a way to calculate the constant acceleration and turning required to get an object to a destination point. The author realizes it is too complicated to do in the next year, so he will have to manage without.
Sketchys
This is my first post here, and I'm not really sure where I should have made it. If it's in the wrong place, please go easy on me and could an admin move it to where it should be.

It's not strictly a homework problem, but it's fairly specific question, and not very deep or philosophical.

I have a moving object. It has an initial location (x,y), heading and speed.

I also have a destination point (x,y).

What I would like, is some way to calculate the constant acceleration and turning (ie. degrees per second) required to get the object to the destination point. I am not particularly interested in the final speed or heading.

I realize it's a pretty big ask, but if anyone could help me, or perhaps point me in the direction of some relevant articles or even other forums, then I'd really appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
If there is no constraints, you can consider your movement to be circular uniform. So, your starting and destination points belong to a circle and the initial velocity is tangent to the circle at the starting point.
Knowing two points and a tangent, you can calculate the radius R of the circle. The centripetal acceleration is [tex]V^2/R[/tex]

Hmmm. Good point.

There will be constraints on the maximum speed and turning rate.

I had intended to calculate the required values first, and then check if they fall within the limits after, but I see that won't work.

I guess in reality, I'm looking for the the minimum amount of turning required, and the corresponding acceleration.

With constraints you will probably need to use Lagrange multipliers.

Well that's just *far* too complicated for me to be able to understand inside of the next year, so I guess I'll have to manage without :(

Thanks for your help.

Related to Calculating Movement Along a Curve

1. How do I determine the velocity of an object moving along a curved path?

To calculate the velocity of an object moving along a curve, you will need to find the derivative of the position function with respect to time. This will give you the instantaneous velocity at any given point along the curve.

2. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a scalar quantity that refers to how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a vector quantity that includes both speed and direction of motion. In other words, velocity tells you not only how fast an object is moving, but also in what direction it is moving.

3. How do I find the acceleration of an object moving along a curved path?

To calculate the acceleration of an object moving along a curve, you will need to find the second derivative of the position function with respect to time. This will give you the instantaneous acceleration at any given point along the curve.

4. Can I use the same equations to calculate movement along any type of curve?

Yes, the equations for calculating movement along a curve are applicable to any type of curve, as long as you have the necessary information about the object's position at different points along the curve.

5. How do I deal with changing velocity or acceleration along a curve?

If the velocity or acceleration changes along the curve, you will need to use the appropriate equations for each segment of the curve. This may involve finding the derivative or second derivative of a new position function for each segment, depending on the type of change in velocity or acceleration.