Calculating the area of a circle or square using decimals

In summary, the conversation discusses a counter-intuitive concept of an area being smaller than its side. The explanation is that the correct units were not used, and the correct way to write 'square metres' is m2. The summary also includes a visual representation of the concept and a comparison of the areas of rectangles with different dimensions.
Camdenl
I came across something that is completely counter-intuitive, and I'm wondering if I'm correct or not. If a square has a side that is .8m someone would do .8 time .8 which is .64. How can an area be smaller than a side I thought and so I looked it up and found only one site that said something that made sense. They said that if it was smaller than 1 then you should scale down the measurement so that it would be a whole number. So I tried 80cm by 80cm which came out to 6400cm which is 64m. When you multiply .8 meters by .8 meters it comes out to .64 meters. Am I correct, and if so, why isn't this taught in schools?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Camdenl said:
So I tried 80cm by 80cm which came out to 6400cm which is 64m

How many square centimetres are there in a square metre ?

What is the correct abbreviated way to write 'square metres' - is it m or is it m2 ?

Likes Camdenl
Camdenl said:
I came across something that is completely counter-intuitive, and I'm wondering if I'm correct or not. If a square has a side that is .8m someone would do .8 time .8 which is .64. How can an area be smaller than a side I thought and so I looked it up and found only one site that said something that made sense. They said that if it was smaller than 1 then you should scale down the measurement so that it would be a whole number. So I tried 80cm by 80cm which came out to 6400cm which is 64m. When you multiply .8 meters by .8 meters it comes out to .64 meters. Am I correct, and if so, why isn't this taught in schools?
Careful with the units! That's 0.8 m × 0.8 m = 0.64 m2. Likewise, 80 cm × 80 cm = 6400 cm2 = 0.64 m2.

To visualize it, draw a square of side 1 and another square of size 0.8 inside it (make one the corners to coincide). You will see how the resulting small square is about 64% the size of the big square.

Likes Camdenl
Nidum said:
How many square centimetres are there in a square metre ?

What is the correct abbreviated way to write 'square metres' - is it m or is it m2 ?
I understand that I didn't use the correct way to show measurements, but that still doesn't help my question. Your answer is the equivalent of me asking "Are there things that shouldn't be an adverb." and you respond with "You forgot an apostrophe in 'shouldn't'."

Camdenl said:
I understand that I didn't use the correct way to show measurements, but that still doesn't help my question. Your answer is the equivalent of me asking "Are there things that shouldn't be an adverb." and you respond with "You forgot an apostrophe in 'shouldn't'."
Actually, it is crucial to your question. You wrote:
Camdenl said:
How can an area be smaller than a side
which you will figure out is not a valid question with the use of correct units.

Likes Camdenl
Since the units are different, as others have pointed out, they are different things. Your question of , "How can an area be smaller than a side?" is like asking, "How can my age be less than my height?" or "How can 1 tree be less than 100 apples when all of the apples are growing on the tree?"

Likes mfb and Camdenl
Forget the area problem itself and just think about how numbers work .

Sketch a graph of y = x2 for x = 0 to 3 . What is different about the sections of the graph for where x is in the range 0 to 1 and for where x is in the range 1 to 3 ?

Likes Camdenl
DrClaude said:
Careful with the units! That's 0.8 m × 0.8 m = 0.64 m2. Likewise, 80 cm × 80 cm = 6400 cm2 = 0.64 m2.

To visualize it, draw a square of side 1 and another square of size 0.8 inside it (make one the corners to coincide). You will see how the resulting small square is about 64% the size of the big square.
Sorry for being rude, I fully understand now. When I visualized i thought of a square with .5cm sides and then a square that is 1cm^2. When I visualized putting the square in the .5 by .5 I realized the area only took up 1/4 of the square.

Nidum said:
Forget the area problem itself and just think about how numbers work .

Sketch a graph of y = x2 for x = 0 to 3 . What is different about the sections of the graph for where x is in the range 0 to 1 and for where x is in the range 1 to 3 ?
Thank you for helping me understand the concept, it really helped.

A rectangle of dimensions 0.8 by 1.0 will have an area of 0.8. When the second dimension is reduced from 1.0 to 0.8, the area gets smaller.

Related to Calculating the area of a circle or square using decimals

What is the formula for calculating the area of a circle using decimals?

The formula for calculating the area of a circle using decimals is A = πr², where A is the area and r is the radius of the circle. π is a constant value of approximately 3.14159.

How do I calculate the area of a square using decimals?

The formula for calculating the area of a square using decimals is A = s², where A is the area and s is the length of one side of the square. This means that you simply need to multiply the length of one side by itself to find the area.

Can I use fractions instead of decimals to calculate the area of a circle or square?

Yes, you can use fractions to calculate the area, but it may result in more complex calculations. It is often easier and more accurate to use decimals when calculating the area of a circle or square.

Why is it important to use decimals when calculating the area of a circle or square?

Using decimals allows for more precise and accurate calculations, especially when dealing with smaller measurements. It also makes it easier to compare and calculate different shapes using the same units of measurement.

What units should I use when expressing the area of a circle or square with decimals?

The units used for the area will depend on the units used for the measurements of the circle or square. For example, if the radius or side length is measured in meters, the area will be in square meters. Make sure to use consistent units throughout your calculations.