Calculating Time to Reach a Stopped Object with Linear Motion

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of a train traveling at 100 m/s and coming to a stop due to the application of brakes when the train is 960 m away from the Batmobile. The person is unsure how to approach the problem and asks for clarification on the distance and the use of a coordinate system. The other person explains the concept of an origin and suggests using two different coordinate systems to solve the problem, ultimately leading to the use of the quadratic equation to find the time it takes for the train to reach the Batmobile.
sweetdaisy186
Hey!

I have a question about the following problem:

A train is traveling at 100 m/s. The engineer applies the breaks because he sees the Batmobile stuck on the tracks ahead. The breaks cause an acceleration of -2.2 m/s^2. The engineer applies the breaks when the train is 960 m from the Batmobile. How long does it take the train to reach the Batmobile?

I thought I would use the linear motion equation of:

X = Xo + Vo(t) + 1/2at^2

But I became confused because I didn't know what to do about the distance "X" Is 960 the initial or final distance? A hint would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
sweetdaisy186 said:
I thought I would use the linear motion equation of:

X = Xo + Vo(t) + 1/2at^2

But I became confused because I didn't know what to do about the distance "X" Is 960 the initial or final distance? A hint would be greatly appreciated.

It depends on the coordinate system you choose to treat the problem with!

You basically have you two choices: 1) Put the origin on the Batmobile, or 2) Put the origin 960m away from the batmombile. It would be instructive for you to try to do the problem both ways and see if you can get the same answer. Don't hesistate to post if further confusion occurs. :smile:

When you say origin what do you mean? Thanks!

sweetdaisy186 said:
When you say origin what do you mean? Thanks!
A point which you define as zero displacement; as in the point (0,0) on a graph.

You can do it either way: You can take the trains initial position to be 0 (i.e. you are setting up your "coordinate system" so that the "origin" is at the train) and then the train must go 960 m to reach the batmobile:
X= 960, X0= 0, V0= 100, A= -2.2.
Solve the equation 960= 0+ 100t+ (1/2)(-2.2)t2.

Or: take the trains initial position to be X0= 960 m away from the batmobile so that when it hits the batmobile its distance is X= 0. Then V0= -100 (since the train is going from 960 to 0 the speed is negative) and A= +2.2 (since it's speed is increasing from -100 toward 0).
Solve the equation 0= 960- 100t+ (1/2)(2.2)t2.

You should be able to see that those two equations are really the same.

LOL, I get it now. I have to use the quadratic equation to solve the problem. I understand now. Thanks for your help!

Related to Calculating Time to Reach a Stopped Object with Linear Motion

1. What is linear motion?

Linear motion is the motion of an object in a straight line, with a constant speed and direction.

2. What factors affect the linear motion of a train?

The linear motion of a train is affected by the train's mass, the force applied to move the train, and the resistance of the track and air.

3. How is the velocity of a train calculated?

The velocity of a train is calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it takes to travel that distance. This is also known as speed.

4. What are the units of measurement for linear motion?

The units of measurement for linear motion are distance (meters, kilometers, etc.) and time (seconds, minutes, etc.). Velocity is measured in distance over time (m/s, km/h, etc.).

5. How does friction affect the linear motion of a train?

Friction can slow down the linear motion of a train by creating resistance. This is why trains often use lubricated wheels to reduce friction and increase efficiency.