Calculating Total Eigenvalues in Matlab

In summary, to calculate the total eigenvalues in Matlab, use the "eig" function and sum the values returned. This only works for square matrices, so non-square matrices will require a different method or conversion. For large matrices, it is recommended to use the "eigs" function for faster and more memory-efficient computation. You can visualize the eigenvalues using the "plot" or "eigplot" functions. To check the accuracy of the eigenvalues, compare them to a known solution using the "eigvals" function and verify their properties.
anahita
Hi.
How do you calculate Total eigenvalues smaller than a certain value in Matlab?

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps you could give a little more detail.
What is your application?
Are you working with real or complex eigenvalues?
By total, do you mean total number of eigenvalues...as in you are looking for a count?
If that is the case, I would do something like:
E = eig(A);
F = find(abs(E) < c);
size(F)
Where A is your matrix, and c is your "certain value".

Related to Calculating Total Eigenvalues in Matlab

1. How do I calculate total eigenvalues in Matlab?

To calculate the total eigenvalues in Matlab, you can use the "eig" function. This function takes a matrix as its input and returns a vector of eigenvalues. Simply sum these values to get the total eigenvalues.

2. Can I calculate total eigenvalues for a non-square matrix?

No, the "eig" function in Matlab only works for square matrices. If you have a non-square matrix, you will need to use a different method or convert it to a square matrix first.

3. What if I have a large matrix with thousands of rows and columns?

Calculating total eigenvalues for large matrices can be time-consuming and may even cause memory issues. In this case, it is recommended to use the "eigs" function instead of "eig". This function uses iterative methods to find a subset of eigenvalues, making it faster and more memory-efficient.

4. Can I visualize the eigenvalues in Matlab?

Yes, you can use the "eig" function to calculate the eigenvalues and then plot them using the "plot" function. Alternatively, you can also use the "eigplot" function, which is specifically designed for visualizing eigenvalues.

5. How can I check if my eigenvalues are correct?

You can use the "eig" function to calculate the eigenvalues and then use the "eigvals" function to compare them to a known solution. If the values match, it is likely that your eigenvalues are correct. Additionally, you can also check the properties of eigenvalues, such as orthogonality and normalization, to verify their accuracy.