Calculation of coolant tank size required to feed multiple grinding stations

Rob365
TL;DR Summary
calculating size of coolant tank required.
I am trying to calculate the size of coolant tank required to feed multiple grinding stations.

I have a total of 12 taps all with flow rates of 20L per minute. All taps would operate at the same time.

The tank would be open topped and 500mm tall.

The tank also requires a dirty side and a clean side to remove metal fines.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Rob365 said:
TL;DR Summary: calculating size of coolant tank required.

I am trying to calculate the size of coolant tank required to feed multiple grinding stations.

I have a total of 12 taps all with flow rates of 20L per minute. All taps would operate at the same time.

The tank would be open topped and 500mm tall.

What are you trying to achieve? Provide a diagram of the system, and design deliverables. “Size” is too vague.

What volume of coolant is lost per hour?
How often will you top up the tank?

Rob365 said:
Can you use magnets to remove the metal fines?
Can the abrasive material be recycled?

Baluncore said:
What volume of coolant is lost per hour?
How often will you top up the tank?

Can you use magnets to remove the metal fines?
Can the abrasive material be recycled?
I am unsure of volume lost per hour the coolant levels would be checked weekly and topped up as needed, we are using a magnetic filtration system to remove the fines I am trying to figure out the diameter of a cylindrical tank i would require to be able to store all coolant when the machine is shut down.

Rob365 said:
I am trying to figure out the diameter of a cylindrical tank i would require to be able to store all coolant when the machine is shut down.
Then the flow rate is not relevant. You need to know the volumetric capacity of all the machines, pumps and lines. You can measure that by measuring the volume of coolant in the system when the tank is not connected. Pump it all out into 200 litre drums.

Likes erobz, Lnewqban and Rob365