Calculation of the force exerted by a liquid

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the force exerted by a liquid on a slant wall, with the given variables of height (h), width (b), density (r), and acceleration due to gravity (g). The formulae P = F/A and F = Vdg are mentioned, along with the difficulty of handling the angle alpha in the problem. The conversation then delves into determining the force in the x direction, with pressure (P) depending on height, density, and gravity. The question of whether P is the same at all depths is raised, and an equation for the force acting on a small strip of the target is sought after. Finally, the conversation discusses breaking down P into F x A and finding the width
Arka420
Question: The height of the given vessel is h,and the width of the given vessel is b (as given in the diagram). The density of the liquid is r.Find the force exerted by the liquid on the slant wall.

Relevant formulae : P = F/A
F = Vdg

An attempt at the solution : I had tried taking a differential slice of the liquid and then integrating. But I am having trouble handling the alpha part. Where does the angle alpha fit into this question?

Attachments

• fluids.png
    fluids.png
    12.9 KB · Views: 707
Physics news on Phys.org
Check the problem statement for any details regarding the force. What you've posted does NOT specify whether it's the normal force or force in the "x" direction.

Bystander said:
Check the problem statement for any details regarding the force. What you've posted does NOT specify whether it's the normal force or force in the "x" direction.
It's the force in the x-direction. Sorry for not mentioning earlier.

One step at a time: what does "P" depend upon?

P,or the pressure,depends upon the area A and the force F.

You're trying to find "F" by looking at "P." What else determines "P?"

Pressure depends upon the height from the free surface of the liquid h,the density of the liquid d and the acceleration due to gravity g.

Arka420 said:
Pressure depends upon the height from the free surface of the liquid h,the density of the liquid d and the acceleration due to gravity g.
Is P the same at all depths?

Chet

Nope,pressure isn't the same at all depths. As depth increases,so does pressure.

Can you find an equation for the force (in the x direction) acting on small strip of the target between depth h and depth h+dh? Assume that dh is small enough so that pressure does not vary significantly from top to bottom of the strip.

jbriggs444 said:
Can you find an equation for the force (in the x direction) acting on small strip of the target between depth h and depth h+dh? Assume that dh is small enough so that pressure does not vary significantly from top to bottom of the strip.
Yes,that was my idea. We can break P as F X A,which gives Vrg (r is the density,I'm not taking d as the density as it will be used to denote the differential height,as you said),which on further reduction gives Ahrg. I'm only having trouble finding A(or the area). If we assume the differential height is at a distance x from the free surface of the liquid, then x is the height. dx (the differential height,for ease of calculation,I am taking the variable as x) multiplied by the width gives the area A. My question is - what is the width? (It has to be an expression in b,or the width of vessel wall, I'm guessing)

Related to Calculation of the force exerted by a liquid

1. How do you calculate the force exerted by a liquid?

The force exerted by a liquid can be calculated using the formula F = ρVg, where ρ is the density of the liquid, V is the volume of the liquid, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This formula applies to liquids in a uniform gravitational field.

2. What is the unit of measurement for force exerted by a liquid?

The unit of measurement for force exerted by a liquid is Newtons (N). This is the same unit used to measure other types of force, such as weight and tension.

3. Can the force exerted by a liquid change?

Yes, the force exerted by a liquid can change. It is dependent on factors such as the density and volume of the liquid, as well as the acceleration due to gravity. For example, if the volume of the liquid increases, the force exerted by the liquid will also increase.

4. How does the shape of a container affect the force exerted by a liquid?

The shape of the container does not affect the force exerted by a liquid. The force exerted by a liquid is dependent on the properties of the liquid itself, such as density and volume, and is not affected by the container it is in.

5. What is the difference between force exerted by a liquid and pressure?

The force exerted by a liquid is a measure of the total force acting on a specific area due to the weight of the liquid. Pressure, on the other hand, is a measure of force per unit area. In other words, pressure is the force exerted by a liquid or gas on a specific area, while force exerted by a liquid is the total force acting on that area.