Can AP Physics 1 be mastered in one summer with dedication?

In summary: But if you put in the work, you can do it too.In summary, it is possible to learn the entire course of AP Physics 1 in the length of one summer, with dedication not being an issue. It is also possible to learn AP Physics C Mechanics and E&M WHILE taking a Calculus BC class.
Lennie Oswald
Hello, I'm still in high school and I was wondering if you would say that it's possible to learn the entire course of AP Physics 1 in the length of one summer with dedication not being an issue. Also, could you learn AP Physics C Mechanics and E&M WHILE you take a Calculus BC class (I'm not attempting to do this). I've tried to search for a question where they discuss how long it usually takes to learn AP Physics B or C, but haven't been able to find any. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It is possible, certainly. And yes, you can learn AP Physics C Mechanics while in Calc AB or BC. (Having just finished this year AP Calc AB (highest offered at my school) AND AP Physics C: Mechanics). I would be happy to answer any specifics as well.

Why would you want to learn AP Physics B and then learn AP physics C? Hopefully I do not sound arrogant, but B is really easy. It is all applied basic algebra. Kinematics is a breeze and a few youtube tutorials will make you a pro in no time. E&M and thermo are the tough parts and you should really burn through a number of examples yourself. Optics and fluid mechanics are freebies on the exam. Occasionally they'll throw an atomic physics problem at you, but example problems from intro physics college courses are your best guide. The calculus required in physics 2 is no where near the complexity of Calc BC so I wouldn't sweat it too much. I took AP physics B without taking the course or really studying too much and got a 4. I bought a review book, did some practice exams, watched youtube, and was prepared. I didn't get a 5 because I didn't spend enough time on E&M which is usually the game changer for students.

Related to Can AP Physics 1 be mastered in one summer with dedication?

1. What is the best way to prepare for the AP Physics 1 exam through self-studying?

The best way to prepare for the AP Physics 1 exam through self-studying is to start early and consistently review material. It is also important to have a good understanding of the fundamental concepts and to practice applying them through practice problems and past exams.

2. How much time should I dedicate to self-studying for AP Physics 1?

The amount of time needed for self-studying for AP Physics 1 will vary for each individual, but it is recommended to dedicate at least 2-3 hours per week for consistent review and practice. As the exam approaches, more time may be needed for intensive studying.

3. Can I self-study for AP Physics 1 if I have no prior physics experience?

Yes, it is possible to self-study for AP Physics 1 without prior physics experience, but it will require more dedication and effort. It is important to start with the basics and work your way up, seeking help from online resources or tutors if needed.

4. What resources are available for self-studying AP Physics 1?

There are many resources available for self-studying AP Physics 1, including textbooks, practice problem books, online videos and tutorials, and past exams. It is important to choose resources that align with the AP Physics 1 curriculum and to use a variety of resources for a well-rounded understanding.

5. Is self-studying for AP Physics 1 as effective as taking a formal class?

Self-studying for AP Physics 1 can be just as effective as taking a formal class if done consistently and with dedication. However, taking a formal class may provide additional resources and support from a teacher, so it may be beneficial to supplement self-study with a class if possible.