Can this simple trig problem be solved using vector calculus?

In summary, vector calculus can be used to solve simple physics problems involving current and wind, such as finding the distance downstream and the angle off course of a boat crossing a river with a given velocity. This involves treating the velocities as vectors and using vector addition and dot product to find the desired values.
cmcraes
I recently have been teaching myself vector calculus online, i am by no means a master but i get the general concepts. I know you can use it to solve the motion of a particle in a fluid and was curious as to whether it can be used to solve simple physics problems, involving current and wind.

Here is a sample question i got for homework:

A river flows due east at 2.32 m/s. A boat
crosses the river from the south shore to the
north shore by maintaining a constant velocity of 13.5 m/s due north relative to the water.
If the river is 322 m wide, how far downstream is the boat when it reaches the north
shore? How many degrees off course is the boat
forced by the current?
Answer in units of ◦

Using Trig my (correct) answer is 13.69789765 m and 9.7511 degrees.

Is there a way I could have found one of these answers using vector calculus? I don't care how unnecessarily complex it is, its fun!

P.S. i am familiar with line integrals so that won't be a problem
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well yeah, you can do this using vector algebra, but vector algebra sort of has trigonometry built into it.

Anyway, you can treat the two velocities as vectors, say vb is the northward velocity of the boat and vr is the eastward velocity of the river. These vectors follow vector addition, so when the boat is moving north over the river while being dragged by the river, its overall velocity v is a vector sum:
v=vb+vr

If you wanted to find the angle θ that v makes with the boat's northward velocity vb (i.e. its original northward course), you can use the formula:
vvb=|v||vb|cosθ

Last edited:

Related to Can this simple trig problem be solved using vector calculus?

1. Can vector calculus be used to solve any trigonometry problem?

No, vector calculus is a mathematical tool that is specifically used to analyze and solve problems involving vector quantities, such as displacement, velocity, and acceleration. It may not be the most efficient or appropriate method for solving all types of trigonometry problems.

2. What are the advantages of using vector calculus to solve trigonometry problems?

Vector calculus allows for a more comprehensive and geometric approach to solving problems that involve vectors and their properties. It also allows for the use of advanced mathematical concepts, such as vector fields and line integrals, which may provide more accurate and detailed solutions.

3. Can vector calculus be used to solve trigonometry problems that involve only scalar quantities?

Yes, vector calculus can still be used to solve problems that involve only scalar quantities, such as angles and distances. However, in these cases, it may not be the most efficient method and simpler trigonometry techniques may be more appropriate.

4. Are there any limitations to using vector calculus to solve trigonometry problems?

One limitation is that it requires a solid understanding of both vector calculus and trigonometry concepts. It may also be more time-consuming and complex compared to using traditional trigonometry methods. Additionally, vector calculus may not be suitable for all types of trigonometry problems.

5. How can I determine if a trigonometry problem can be solved using vector calculus?

The best way to determine if vector calculus can be used is to analyze the problem and see if it involves vector quantities, such as displacement, velocity, or acceleration. If so, then vector calculus may be a suitable approach. It is also important to have a good understanding of both vector calculus and trigonometry to effectively identify and solve these types of problems.