Can We Assume Equality of Complex Numbers Based on Their Norm?

In summary, the norm of two complex numbers being equal does not necessarily mean that the two complex numbers are equal. In fact, for complex numbers, there are infinitely many possible values that can have the same norm. This is due to the fact that complex numbers have both a modulus and an argument, unlike real numbers which only have absolute value.
Bachelier
This question might be elementary:
If the norm of two complex numbers is equal, can we deduce that the two complex numbers are equal.
I know in ℝ we can just look at this as an absolute value, but what about ℂ?

So mainly:

let |z| = |w|*|r| can we say → z = w*r ?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
|1|=|1|*|-1|
It can be violated with real numbers, and every real number is a complex number.

The other direction is true, of course.

Yes because square roots are multiplicative, but your statement above is false on the following grounds.

assuming w and r are complex you would have to say that:
|z| = |w|*|r| we can say → -z = w*r

Last edited:
That's a strange question. You appear to know that if |a|= |b| for real numbers, then it does NOT follow that a= b but are you thinking that with complex numbers we might not have that ambiguity? In fact, for complex numbers the situation is much worse!

In the real numbers, if |a|= 1 then a can be either 1 or -1. In the complex numbers there are an infinite number of possible values for a. There exist an infinite number of complex numbers, a, such that |a|= 1.

Last edited by a moderator:
Complex numbers, much like vectors, are quantities defined by both a modulus (norm) AND an argument (direction). An infinity of complex numbers share the same norm, but have different arguments. The other way around is also true.

Therefore, |z| = |w| does not imply z = w.

Bachelier said:
This question might be elementary:
If the norm of two complex numbers is equal, can we deduce that the two complex numbers are equal.
I know in ℝ we can just look at this as an absolute value, but what about ℂ?
Draw a circle in the complex plane, centered at 0, with radius R. Every point on that circle has norm equal to R. Thus, except for the R = 0 case, there are infinitely many points with the same norm.

HallsofIvy said:
That's a strange question. You appear to know that if |a|= |b| for real numbers, then it does NOT follow that a= b but are you thinking that with complex numbers we might not have that ambiguity? In fact, for complex numbers the situation is much worse!

In the real numbers, if |a|= 1 then a can be either 1 or -1. In the complex numbers there are an infinite number of possible values for a. There exist an infinite number of complex numbers, a, such that |a|= 1.

lol...indeed it is a strange question. I just needed to brush up on my linear algebra a little and apply the vector normalization to get an equality. I don't know why this idea crossed my mind.

Thank you all for the great clarifications.

Related to Can We Assume Equality of Complex Numbers Based on Their Norm?

What is the norm of a complex number?

The norm of a complex number is a measure of its distance from the origin in the complex plane. It is also known as the magnitude or absolute value of the complex number.

How is the norm of a complex number calculated?

The norm of a complex number is calculated by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of its real and imaginary parts. It can be represented as |z| = √(a^2 + b^2), where z = a + bi.

What is the significance of the norm of a complex number?

The norm of a complex number is important in many areas of mathematics, including complex analysis, geometry, and number theory. It allows us to measure the size of a complex number and compare it with other complex numbers.

Is the norm of a complex number always a real number?

Yes, the norm of a complex number is always a real number. This is because it is calculated using the absolute value, which always results in a positive real number.

How does the norm of a complex number relate to its conjugate?

The norm of a complex number is equal to the product of the complex number and its conjugate. This means that |z| = z * z̄, where z̄ is the complex conjugate of z.