Can We Prove that an Open Ball is an Open Set Using Rectangles?

• Thread starter brydustin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Balls Sets
In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of an open set and how to prove that an open ball is open using rectangles. The speaker mentions that using rectangles is the definition used in Spivak's calculus on manifolds and asks for a detailed proof. They also mention that the rectangle need not be a hypercube and suggest starting with 2-dimensional cases and using Pythagoras's theorem. The conversation also touches on the difficulty of finding the length of the square inscribed in a circle.
brydustin
Could someone please show that an open ball is open where the definition of "open" is: A set is open if for each x in U there is an open rectangle A such that x in A is contained in U. Where an open rectangle is (a_1,b_1)×…×(a_n,b_n). I also realize that one can use rectangles or balls, but I would like to see the proof using rectangles, as this is the definition used in Spivak's calculus on manifolds. Please avoid any reference to putting an open ball in this open ball, that will only "push back" the proof. If someone could give a detailed proof that would be much appreciated. The rectangle need not be a hypercube.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try to do it first in 2 dimensions. Then do it in 3 dimensions. Then you should see how to handle the general case. In all the cases, you only really need pythagoras's thm.

quasar987 said:
Try to do it first in 2 dimensions. Then do it in 3 dimensions. Then you should see how to handle the general case. In all the cases, you only really need pythagoras's thm.
Sorry, you aren't telling me anything that I haven't already tried.

Well I suppose in R^1, in our "open ball" we could pick any point x; then compute the distance to the boundary (let that equal eps), and we can fit an "open rectangle" centered at that point (x-eps/2, x+eps/2) and that would show that the set is open. The reason that I can't figure this out in R^2 is that if we were to repeat this algorithm and make the rectangle go half the distance in the direction to the nearest point on the boundary of the open ball, how far should we go in the other direction (perpendicular to that direction?)... because the limit to the size of the rectangle in that direction would be contingent on the curvature right? If the size of the open ball in R^2 was "large" then we could go far in the other direction, but if its a small circle then we hit the boundary quicker.

Last edited:
brydustin said:
Sorry, you aren't telling me anything that I haven't already tried.

OK, how does the proof go in the case n=2 then?

micromass said:
OK, how does the proof go in the case n=2 then?

What I meant was that I tried, but don't know how the proof goes in R^2.

Draw a circle. Then draw a square inscribed into it with its 4 corners touching the circle. Then ask: knowing the circle has radius R, how can I apply pythagoras to find the length of the square?

Related to Can We Prove that an Open Ball is an Open Set Using Rectangles?

1. What is an open ball?

An open ball is a set of all points within a certain distance (radius) from a given point (center). In other words, it is a set of points that are contained within a circle with a specific radius, where the center of the circle is the given point.

2. How is an open ball different from a closed ball?

An open ball does not include the boundary points of the circle, while a closed ball includes the boundary points. This means that an open ball is an open set, while a closed ball is a closed set.

3. Why are open balls important in mathematics?

Open balls are important in mathematics because they are used to define open sets, which are a fundamental concept in topology. Open sets are used to describe continuity, convergence, and other important properties in analysis and other branches of mathematics.

4. Can open balls be used in any metric space?

Yes, open balls can be used in any metric space. This is because the definition of an open ball depends only on the distance (or metric) between points, and does not rely on any specific properties of the space.

5. How are open balls related to open sets?

An open ball is a basic example of an open set. In fact, any open set in a metric space can be expressed as a union of open balls. This means that open balls are a fundamental building block for open sets, and understanding them is crucial in understanding open sets and their properties.