Carnot engine with a magnetic auxiliary system

Yes, I think you have the signs wrong. You want the work done BY the system, not ON the system. So, you want to use ##\small W=\int{BdM}##. (I edited my post to replace H by B.) If you do that, the first term will be negative (so it will subtract rather than add). The second term will be positive because ##\small M_4 > M_3##, so ##\small (M_4^2-M_3^2)## will be positive.You can either do the integrations yourself, or you can use a calculator to do the integrals numerically. I just copied your expression for ##
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I would like some assistance to solve the following problem.
A magnetic system satisfies Curie's law ##M=nDB/T##, has a specific heat capacity at constant magnetization ##C_M=\text{constant}##. It is used in a Carnot engine that operates between temperatures ##T_h## and ##T_c## (##T_c<T_h##).
M is the magnetization and B is the external magnetic field.
1)Sketch a qualitative (B,M) diagram of a complete cycle.
2)Calculate the work done by the engine after 1 cycle.
3)Calculate the efficiency of the engine.

Homework Equations

##C_M=\frac{T}{n} \left ( \frac{\partial S}{\partial T} \right ) _{M,n}=\left ( \frac{\partial U}{\partial T}\right ) _{M,n}## (1)

The Attempt at a Solution

1)I've done the sketch, I don't think there's anything particular about it.
2)This is where I'm stuck.
From equation (1) I've determined that ##S(T,M,n)=C_Mn \ln T+f(M,n)## and that ##U(T,M,n)=C_MT+g(M,n)##. Not sure this can help.
I know that the work done is the area enclosed by the sketch in the B-M diagram, namely ##W=\oint B dM##.
I know that in a Carnot cycle there are 2 adiabatic and 2 isothermal processes. Also the 1st law of Thermodynamics states that ##\Delta U =Q+W## so after a cycle ##\Delta U=0## and so ##Q=-W##. In other words the heat toward the auxiliary system is equal to the work done BY the system. And since there are 2 adiabatic processes (no heat is being absorbed by the system), I get that the work done after 1 cycle is equal to the heat absorbed by the system during the 2 isothermal processes.
Now if I think of M as a function of B, T and n and assuming that n is constant for the auxiliary system then ##dM=\frac{nDdB}{T}-\frac{nDBdT}{T^2}##. Note that for the 2 isotherms, ##dM=\frac{nDdB}{T}##.
I also know that ##dW=BdM## and so for the isotherms, ##dW=\frac{nDBdB}{T}##. I know that there's 1 isotherm at a temperature of ##T_h## and the other at a temperature of ##T_c##. My problem is that I don't know what are the limits of the integral if I integrate this expression. So I can't really get W via this expression.
I don't really know how to proceed further.
Any tip is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Let ##\small (M_1, B_1)##, ##\small (M_2, B_2)##, ##\small (M_3, B_3)##, and ##\small (M_4, B_4)## be the states on the ##\small B##-##\small M## diagram corresponding to the "corners" of the Carnot cycle. 1→2 is isothermal at ##T_h##, 2→3 is adiabatic (reducing ##\small T## to ##\small T_c##), etc.

So, for the leg 1→2, your limits of integration for ##\small W=-\int B dM## will be from ##\small M_1## to ##\small M_2##, etc.

You want to get expressions for the total work done in the cycle, and for the heat added during the cycle. These expressions will be in terms of the ##\small M_i##'s, the hot and cold temperatures, and the constants ##\small n, D, C_M##.

TSny said:
Let ##\small (M_1, B_1)##, ##\small (M_2, B_2)##, ##\small (M_3, B_3)##, and ##\small (M_4, B_4)## be the states on the ##\small B##-##\small M## diagram corresponding to the "corners" of the Carnot cycle. 1→2 is isothermal at ##T_h##, 2→3 is adiabatic (reducing ##\small T## to ##\small T_c##), etc.

So, for the leg 1→2, your limits of integration for ##\small W=-\int B dM## will be from ##\small M_1## to ##\small M_2##, etc.

You want to get expressions for the total work done in the cycle, and for the heat added during the cycle. These expressions will be in terms of the ##\small M_i##'s, the hot and cold temperatures, and the constants ##\small n, D, C_M##.

Oh I see, thanks.
I didn't know I could assume ##M_i##'s to be known.
Following what I had done I reach that ##W=\frac{1}{2nD}[T_h(M_1^2-M_2^2)-T_c(M_3^2-M_4^2)]## (work done ON the system so to answer the question I'd have to set -W to get the work done BY the system). If that's the correct answer then I guess I'm done for part 2). If it's wrong I'm going to post what I did to reach this.

fluidistic said:
Oh I see, thanks.
Following what I had done I reach that ##W=\frac{1}{2nD}[T_h(M_1^2-M_2^2)-T_c(M_3^2-M_4^2)]## (work done ON the system so to answer the question I'd have to set -W to get the work done BY the system).

That's close to what I get, except for signs. The work done by the system is ##\small -\int{BdM}## [Edited to replace the symbol H by B ]. So, I think your first term ##\small \frac{1}{2nD}T_h(M_1^2-M_2^2)## represents the positive work done by the system as ##\small M_1## is reduced isothermally to ##\small M_2## (with ##\small M_2 < M_1##). The work done by the system in going from 3 to 4 (with ##\small M_4 > M_3##) should be negative.

The signs are confusing because you need to reduce M to get positive work done by the system (which is opposite to P-V work where V should be increased to get positive work done by the system).

Last edited:
TSny said:
That's close to what I get, except for signs. The work done by the system is ##\small -\int{HdM}##. So, I think your first term ##\small \frac{1}{2nD}T_h(M_1^2-M_2^2)## represents the positive work done by the system as ##\small M_1## is reduced isothermally to ##\small M_2## (with ##\small M_2 < M_1##). The work done by the system in going from 3 to 4 (with ##\small M_4 > M_3##) should be negative.

The signs are confusing because you need to reduce M to get positive work done by the system (which is opposite to P-V work where V should be increased to get positive work done by the system).

So basically I've got the signs wrong?
I know that the total work done BY the system should be positive. My answer to the question would be ##W'=-W=\frac{1}{2nD}[T_h(M_2^2-M_1^2)-T_c(M_4^2-M_3^2)]##. I believe that it's positive but I'm not 100% sure.

fluidistic said:
So basically I've got the signs wrong?
I know that the total work done BY the system should be positive. My answer to the question would be ##W'=-W=\frac{1}{2nD}[T_h(M_2^2-M_1^2)-T_c(M_4^2-M_3^2)]##. I believe that it's positive but I'm not 100% sure.

I agree with your second term (which yields negative work done by the system in going from 3 to 4), but I don't agree with the sign of your first term (which would also give negative work in going from 1 to 2). As I see it, ##\small M_2 < M_1## and ##\small M_4 > M_3##.

Work done by the system in going isothermally from a to b is ##\small W = -\int_a^b{BdM} = -\frac{T}{2nD}(M_b^2-M_a^2)##.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
You are right TSny, I understand my error now. Thanks a lot.

Related to Carnot engine with a magnetic auxiliary system

1. What is a Carnot engine with a magnetic auxiliary system?

A Carnot engine with a magnetic auxiliary system is a type of heat engine that utilizes both magnetic and thermal energy to convert heat into mechanical work. It works on the principle of the Carnot cycle, which is a theoretical cycle that describes the most efficient way to convert heat into work.

2. How does a Carnot engine with a magnetic auxiliary system work?

In a Carnot engine with a magnetic auxiliary system, the system consists of two magnets and a working substance. The magnets are placed in a magnetic field and the working substance is heated and cooled alternatively. The magnetic field causes the working substance to expand and contract, resulting in a cyclical movement that can be used to do work.

3. What are the advantages of using a Carnot engine with a magnetic auxiliary system?

The main advantage of using a Carnot engine with a magnetic auxiliary system is its high efficiency. This is because it uses both thermal and magnetic energy to produce work, making it more efficient than traditional heat engines. It also has a simple design and is environmentally friendly as it does not produce any emissions.

4. What are the applications of a Carnot engine with a magnetic auxiliary system?

A Carnot engine with a magnetic auxiliary system has various potential applications, including power generation, refrigeration, and air conditioning. It can also be used in renewable energy systems, such as solar and wind power, to improve their efficiency and reliability.

5. What are the limitations of a Carnot engine with a magnetic auxiliary system?

One of the limitations of a Carnot engine with a magnetic auxiliary system is the cost of the magnets and the materials used in its construction. It also requires precise control of the magnetic field and temperature, which can be challenging to achieve. Additionally, the efficiency of the engine decreases at higher temperatures, limiting its use in certain applications.