Cartesian Equation for Parametrized Curve: Find Solution

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cartesian
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the cartesian equation of a parametrized curve and considers the range of the coordinates in relation to the given equation. Ultimately, it is determined that the coordinates satisfy $x+y=1$ with specific restrictions. The same approach is then applied to a different parametrized curve.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

I want to find the cartesian equation of the following parametrized curve:

$$r(t)=(\cos^2 t, \sin^2 t)$$

I have tried the following:

Since $\cos^2 t+ \sin^2 t=1, \forall t$, the coordinates $x= \cos^2 t, y= \sin^2 t$ of $r(t)$ satisfy $x+y=1$.

Is the above sufficient or is a reverse implication needed? (Thinking)

Physics news on Phys.org
evinda said:
Hello! (Wave)

I want to find the cartesian equation of the following parametrized curve:

$$r(t)=(\cos^2 t, \sin^2 t)$$

I have tried the following:

Since $\cos^2 t+ \sin^2 t=1, \forall t$, the coordinates $x= \cos^2 t, y= \sin^2 t$ of $r(t)$ satisfy $x+y=1$.

Is the above sufficient or is a reverse implication needed? (Thinking)

Hey evinda! (Smile)

Indeed, something more is needed.
Let's just consider what the ranges of $\cos^2 t$ and $\sin^2 t$ are...
Are they surjective on $\mathbb R$? (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
Hey evinda! (Smile)

Indeed, something more is needed.
Let's just consider what the ranges of $\cos^2 t$ and $\sin^2 t$ are...
Are they surjective on $\mathbb R$? (Thinking)

They are surjective from $\mathbb{R}$ to $[0,1]$, right?

evinda said:
They are surjective from $\mathbb{R}$ to $[0,1]$, right?

Yep.
So perhaps we should set some bounds on the curve defined by $x+y=1$. (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
Yep.
So perhaps we should set some bounds on the curve defined by $x+y=1$. (Thinking)

Don't we have to pick these restrictions? (Thinking)

$$0 \leq x \leq 1 \\ 0 \leq y \leq 1$$

evinda said:
Don't we have to pick these restrictions? (Thinking)

$$0 \leq x \leq 1 \\ 0 \leq y \leq 1$$

Yep. (Happy)

I like Serena said:
Yep. (Happy)

So can we say the following?

Since $\cos^2 t+ \sin^2 t=1, \forall t$, the coordinates $x= \cos^2 t, y= \sin^2 t$ of $r(t)$ satisfy $x+y=1$ with $0 \leq x \leq 1, 0 \leq y \leq 1$.

- - - Updated - - -

So if we want to find the cartesian equation of $r(t)=(e^t, t^2)$ can we say the following?

Since $t^2= (\ln e^t)^2 , \forall t$, the coordinates $x=e^t, y=t^2$ satisfy $y=(\ln x)^2$ for $x >0 , y \geq 0$.

evinda said:
So can we say the following?

Since $\cos^2 t+ \sin^2 t=1, \forall t$, the coordinates $x= \cos^2 t, y= \sin^2 t$ of $r(t)$ satisfy $x+y=1$ with $0 \leq x \leq 1, 0 \leq y \leq 1$.

- - - Updated - - -

So if we want to find the cartesian equation of $r(t)=(e^t, t^2)$ can we say the following?

Since $t^2= (\ln e^t)^2 , \forall t$, the coordinates $x=e^t, y=t^2$ satisfy $y=(\ln x)^2$ for $x >0 , y \geq 0$.

Seems fine to me. (Smile)

I like Serena said:
Seems fine to me. (Smile)

Nice... Thanks a lot! (Smirk)

Related to Cartesian Equation for Parametrized Curve: Find Solution

1. What is a Cartesian equation for a parametrized curve?

A Cartesian equation for a parametrized curve is a mathematical representation of the curve in the form of an equation that relates the x and y coordinates of points on the curve. It is written in terms of x and y, rather than in terms of a parameter (such as t).

2. How do I find the solution to a Cartesian equation for a parametrized curve?

To find the solution, you need to substitute the parametric equations for x and y into the Cartesian equation. This will give you an equation in terms of the parameter. You can then solve for the parameter to find the points on the curve that satisfy the equation.

3. Why do we use a parametrized curve instead of a Cartesian equation?

Parametrized curves allow us to represent more complex curves that cannot be easily described by a single equation. They also give us more flexibility in manipulating and analyzing the curve.

4. Can a parametrized curve have more than one Cartesian equation?

Yes, a parametrized curve can have multiple Cartesian equations. This is because there are many ways to represent the same curve using different equations.

5. How does a Cartesian equation for a parametrized curve relate to the graph of the curve?

The Cartesian equation for a parametrized curve is essentially the same as the graph of the curve. It represents the same set of points, but in a different form. The equation allows us to easily manipulate and analyze the curve, while the graph provides a visual representation of the curve.