Circular Motion 12th grade physics

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for the reaction at point A and the tension in the cable attached at point C, assuming a mass-less bar and a block with a mass of 124 kg. The distance between various points and the angle of the cable with the wall are also given. The suggestion is to break up forces into their x and y components and use free body diagrams to isolate the system. The horizontal and vertical components of the cable force are trigonometry related, and the 3 equations of equilibrium can be used to solve for the cable tension and support reactions.
cnfsdstudent
From the diagram above, solve for the reaction at point A. and the tension in the cable that is attatched at point C. Assume the bar is mass-less. Block B has a mass of 124 kg. The distance from point B to point A is 3.2m, from point A to point D is 1.3 m, and point D to point C 2.1 m. The cable attaches to the wall forming a 30 degree angle with the wall.

This is an equation with an attached pic from my high school physics class. It was a "just for fun" problem that the teacher does not expect us to be able to figure out, but I wanted to know if someone could give me some suggestions, I really have no idea. This is not for a grade, other wise I would have attempted it in a more vigourous level.

Attachments

• IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 396
Physics news on Phys.org
It is usually best to break up forces into their x and y components. I don't know if you have studied free body diagrams, but if yes, you should draw one of the 'block/ cable/ support at A' system, isolating it from the wall. Note that the horizontal and vertical components of the cable force are trig related. Then use the 3 equations of equilibrium to solve for the cable tension and support reactions.

Thanks so much! I will be working on this later on today, I will let you know if I have anymore questions

Related to Circular Motion 12th grade physics

1. What is circular motion in physics?

Circular motion in physics is the movement of an object along a circular path. This type of motion is characterized by a constant speed and a change in direction, as the object moves around a central point.

2. What causes circular motion?

Circular motion is caused by a centripetal force, which is directed towards the center of the circular path. This force is necessary to keep an object moving in a circular motion, as it counteracts the natural tendency of the object to move in a straight line.

3. How is circular motion related to Newton's laws of motion?

Circular motion can be explained by Newton's laws of motion, specifically the first and second laws. The first law states that an object will remain in motion unless acted upon by a force, which is why an object in circular motion will continue to move along its path. The second law explains how the centripetal force causes the object to accelerate towards the center of the circle.

4. What is the difference between uniform circular motion and non-uniform circular motion?

Uniform circular motion is when an object moves at a constant speed along a circular path, while non-uniform circular motion is when the speed of the object changes as it moves along the path. This can be seen in the changing speed of a car on a curved road, where it is not moving at a constant speed along the curve.

5. How is the period of circular motion related to its radius?

The period of circular motion, which is the time it takes for an object to complete one full revolution, is directly related to the radius of the circular path. As the radius increases, the period also increases. This can be seen in the formula for the period of circular motion, T = 2πr/v, where r is the radius and v is the speed of the object.