Co-efficient of Friction (Limiting Friction)

• Thread starter FeDeX_LaTeX
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
I'm not sure why the website is telling you it is incorrect. It is possible that there was a mistake in entering the values into the website or there is an issue with the website's calculations. It might be worth checking with your teacher or classmates to see if they are also getting the same answer.
FeDeX_LaTeX
Gold Member

Homework Statement

"A box of mass 40kg is pulled by a rope inclined at 33° to the horizontal. The box is about to slide and the tension in the rope is 190N. What is the co-efficient of friction (2 d.p.)?"

Homework Equations

Fmax = uR
g = 9.8 ms-2

The Attempt at a Solution

First, a diagram of the problem;

[PLAIN]http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/6131/m1stuck2.png

To find R, resolve upwards;

R + 190sin33° = 40*9.8
R = 392 - 190sin33°

Resolving horizontally to find Fmax;

Fmax = 190cos33°

So, the co-efficient of friction should be Fmax divided by R;

(190cos33°)/(392 - 190sin33°) = 0.552295128(...) = 0.55 (2 d.p.)

That is my total working for the problem, but the website I am using "MyMaths" is telling me it is incorrect, and I am assuming I must be incorrect because every time a new randomly-generated problem is created it tells me I am wrong when I solve that one using the method which I have described.

Could anyone please tell me the error in my method?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I also get .55

Related to Co-efficient of Friction (Limiting Friction)

What is the co-efficient of friction?

The co-efficient of friction is a measure of the amount of force required to overcome the resistance between two surfaces in contact with each other.

What is the difference between static and kinetic co-efficient of friction?

The static co-efficient of friction refers to the resistance between two surfaces when they are at rest, while the kinetic co-efficient of friction refers to the resistance between two surfaces when one is in motion.

What factors affect the co-efficient of friction?

The co-efficient of friction can be affected by the nature of the two surfaces in contact, the weight of the objects, and the presence of any lubricants or contaminants.

How is the co-efficient of friction measured?

The co-efficient of friction is typically measured using a device called a friction tester, which applies a known force to the surfaces and measures the amount of resistance. It can also be calculated using the formula μ = F/N, where μ is the co-efficient of friction, F is the force required to move the object, and N is the normal force between the two surfaces.

Why is the co-efficient of friction important?

The co-efficient of friction is important in many applications, such as designing machines and structures, determining the traction of tires, and preventing slipping or sliding of objects. It also plays a role in understanding the behavior of materials and how they interact with each other.